Tank Inspector cert w/o renewal requirement.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just certified last weekend. Owning 22 tanks, and the costs here if I was to go to my LDS, my payback will be rapid, even without including options to help others....

Actually, if you are transporting any compressed gas cylinder IN COMMERCE whether pressurized or not you are transporting HAZMAT, including Compressed Gas, N.O.S., Empty Cylinder. The Reportable Quantity of Compressed gas is 1000 lbs of cylinders, not PSI in the cylinders. Placarding must be offered by the offerer (Shipper) to the transporter (driver) if the total weight of the cylinders is 1000 lbs or more. You could ship a spare air with 10,000 PSI of air in it without placarding if it only weighed 999 lbs, but it must be manifested.

I'd offer you the references, but people spend their whole lives becoming hazmat shippers in accordance with DOT. But the regulations are found in 49 CFR.

I do not see the connection of your statement in relation to tank filling operations and the hazmat portion of the PSI course.

Well, to be fair, the "Scuba Industry" doesn't require anything to be replaced. That's the best scam in the world, though. Create a quasi-governmental agency, scare everyone that it will become a governmental agency (look what happened in Quebec), make the "industry" follow a made up standard that seems reasonable, and charge every participant $10-$35 annually to continue participating.

That's almost better than "continuing maintenance" contracts.
Pretty much the definition of rent-seeking.

I do not see the connection of your statement in relation to tank filling operations and the hazmat portion of the PSI course.
The point I made was that hazmat is not 1000 PSI, but 1000 lbs of cylinders.

The point I made was that hazmat is not 1000 PSI, but 1000 lbs of cylinders.
The hazard part is the presure the tank is under not the weight of the tanks. One tank with 3k psi in it is the hazardous material. A positively proven empty tank is not hazmat for the purpose of tank filling operations. That becomes positively proven when the valve is removed an no ability to hold pressure is possible.

In regards of shipping the weight of the tank load may be in fact hazardous. That condition does not exist in a fill shop and is not a factor as far as my hazardous training was concerned as of 2 years ago. Different agencies may look at it differently, Mine was PSI.

Mine is DOT.

The hazard part is the presure the tank is under not the weight of the tanks. One tank with 3k psi in it is the hazardous material. A positively proven empty tank is not hazmat for the purpose of tank filling operations. That becomes positively proven when the valve is removed an no ability to hold pressure is possible.

In regards of shipping the weight of the tank load may be in fact hazardous. That condition does not exist in a fill shop and is not a factor as far as my hazardous training was concerned as of 2 years ago. Different agencies may look at it differently, Mine was PSI.

I think you're unknowingly causing confusion with your wording. "Hazmat" is a term specific to DOT-regulated shipments, and it has a meaning that's deeper than just being an abbreviation for 'hazardous'. An empty tank is still hazmat, because that's the proper DOT definition for an empty or full compressed gas cylinder. You're correct that it's not hazardous as far as the fill station is concerned.

The purpose of the weight limit is to mark a point where there is enough hazardous material in a transport vehicle (truck, container, railcar, etc) that a warning needs to be made clearly visible via placards in case of emergency or unexpected outbreaks of stupidity. For almost all hazardous materials, that limit is 1000 pounds. Quantities of 1000 pounds or less are still hazmat, as Frank mentioned above, but placards need not be displayed.

Now, what does that have to do with a shop's fill station? Nothing, as you aren't transporting the tanks. What about your personal tanks in your vehicle? Again, nothing, you're not engaged in commerce.

Now, what does that have to do with a shop's fill station?

....but, anything greater than 29 psi (IIRC, a number I said above) is considered a hazard, per CFR, hence OSHA, and employees must be trained... that is where a fill station comes into play... better never take money for a fill....

....but, anything greater than 29 psi (IIRC, a number I said above) is considered a hazard, per CFR, hence OSHA, and employees must be trained... that is where a fill station comes into play... better never take money for a fill....

Yes, but that's a different can of worms than the transport-for-commerce placard can of worms.

Back
Top Bottom