Tank Inspector cert w/o renewal requirement.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there is not a nonrenewal cert from ANY agency

So questions to all who say XYZ expires in 789 years ...... Where does it state that on the card?

My TDI VIP card just has a "Date" that specifies when it was issued. The fall of last year.

Every other real world First Aid/Industrial card I've had (in the past decade ... before that some didn't 'run out') have a "Certified On" and "Expires On" dates printed on the card ....

_R

good point it should have a expires on , I guess they just believe the student will track the dates ....sdi/tdi and psi make sure the instructor tells the student how long the cert is good for . im not sure how the cert (psi ) travels from country to country ..tdi sdi is an international company but we do cover difference in regional laws, the cost is the e learning

I have the Scuba Steve VIP card... It's lifetime and didn't cost me anything but the cost to have stickers made... Oh, And the 10 minutes to make up a card on the puter and print it...:yeahbaby::wink:

Jim...

I would be interested in a "non-renewal" VIP cert.
I may be wrong but he catch me in this is that they teach hazmat control and that has to be renewed each 3 years, and of course that is the front part of the vip course.

is Hazmat applicable to scuba tanks?

It is haz-mat in the US as the pressure exceeds 29 psig....

The Visual Inspection is a part of a Hydro Test and is to be carried out by a certified hydro technician every 5 years, at hydro. That is the legal requirement for any compressed gas cylinder without a star rating. If a cylinder has a star rating, the periodicity is 10 years. A visual Inspection Program (VIP) has absolutely no legal basis in anything whatsoever. It is a good work practice, an industry practice, and a damn good idea regardless, but there is no legal requirement to perform VIP, to be certified as a VIP Inspector, or to inspect the inside of a tank by anyone other than a fill station operator.

With that said, I am a PSI VIP inspector because it is the industry standard, and I renew every time someone tells me to, because it is a best work practice, and because it's a damn good idea, and because I own north of 80 cylinders and use them in a commercial setting. (Captain Wasson, could you please explain to the jury why you didn't look in and O2 clean your scuba cylinders every year, as good work practice and industry standards dictate?) So, if you aren't doing it for money, or for liability reasons, there is no reason to keep the certification current unless you want to. I think everyone should want to, but then, I think everyone should want to have a CO monitor on their breathing air compressor too, but many don't.

I may be wrong but he catch me in this is that they teach hazmat control and that has to be renewed each 3 years, and of course that is the front part of the vip course.
Site Specific Hazardous Material training (what I think you are referring to as hazmat control) is required by 29 CFR 1910.120 and is required every year. It is typically covered by Fill Station Operator training, which may be bought canned from PSI/PCI or developed by the owner of the fill station. All employees at the location of the fill station must have awareness training. Only those who operate the fill station need the site specific training.

Back
Top Bottom