Tank failing Visual, shop condemned the tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It may be and it probably is a tank that is full fiber and not used in diving. Probably used in SCBA aplications. There is one with a 15 life span and hydros required every 3 years.

Another hot item is how long a vis is good for. everyone answers 1 year and that also is wrong. the standard is up to one year if filled 2 or less times a week. in general vis every 100 fills , rentals are every 6 months and heavily used tanks every 50 fills quarterly if filled at sea on on a dive boat. This is from memory so the exact periods may be slightly different. I have that info in my books also and quickly looking at it I did not see the cfr reference for it. I will concede that there are times that PSI makes itself a source based on trying to make one rule fit all. They like to set the standard by the most conservative of the data. that happens somewhat in the area of O2 cleaning of tanks. Is this organizational or based on CFR I cant say for positive.
It is the Luxfer Limited 106 for scuba.
Luxfer Limited 106 Composite Cylinder — XS Scuba

This one is a diving tank but as I remember it was said to probably never to be seen in the field because of the high cost.

A lot of good info is resurfacing.
High cost, difficult to find inspectors, difficult to fill, short life, no apparent advantage/benefit that I can see in the specs.

Opinion. Please back it up with something of substance.

Because it is.

Please quote something legal that puts all this to rest.

Can you provide a legally valid reference to your assertation or is this just another opinion?

OK, my opinion is that everything passes. Why did I need a course for that?

Try this out and enjoy. It gives CFR and CGA reference so you can find out all you wanted to about cylinder inspection and testing.

http://www.igaroc.org.tw/Data/DOT training & certification.pdf

This is referenced summary of the process in people language.

Testing and inspection of diving cylinders - Wikipedia

After searching my HD, I found it..

Code of Federal Regulations > Title 49 > Chapter I > Part 178 > Subpart C - Specifications for Cylinders

Try this out and enjoy. It gives CFR and CGA reference so you can find out all you wanted to about cylinder inspection and testing.

http://www.igaroc.org.tw/Data/DOT training & certification.pdf

This is referenced summary of the process in people language.

Testing and inspection of diving cylinders - Wikipedia
None of that is a "law" You have some training material for a class you can pay to take and a Wiki page that starts off with [citation needed] in the first paragraph.

Find an actual federal (i'll even take a state) law. Some reference number that can be looked up in a law book.

We can cut your tank in half and you can make a bell or we'll even make it into a bell for you for only $40 so you can hang in your man(or woman) cave or bar.
It costs $40 to cut a tank in half?! :(

Out of curiosity, have you made enough bells that you have a feeling for how much to cut off (in inches) to get a bell tone that's a full note up or down from a cut in a different place? It would be interesting someday to try to make a giant, tuned wind chime that would actually be somewhat melodic. Is there generally a supply of abandoned steel tanks around hydro testing places that would make that possible?

Given that our biggest fear, death, is inescapable, doesn’t it seem ridiculous to let our smaller fears dictate how we live our too short lives? -Me
In the words of Ed Abbey, "when the situation is hopeless, there’s nothing to worry about."

None of that is a "law" You have some training material for a class you can pay to take and a Wiki page that starts off with [citation needed] in the first paragraph.

Find an actual federal (i'll even take a state) law. Some reference number that can be looked up in a law book.

Dude... You are going to have to do your own leg work, all of the reference material related to all the subject is foot noted, so go find it. I did that once upon a time, that is why I know what I know. Ya lookin' for a easy button? USC means United States Code... that is the "law book" CGA is a guidance authority which does testing and data collection to procure and end result for USC on all things GAS and liquid.

Back
Top Bottom