Super secret DIR equipment? Post your stories (all in good fun)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several ways to stowe the long hose without a can light, such as moving a knife to the spot to tuck under as well and stuffing it in your waiste band.

Shhh! If my girlfriend hears you saying that I won't be getting a nice can light. :wink:

Shhh! If my girlfriend hears you saying that I won't be getting a nice can light. :wink:

You can also start out with a 5' hose that doesn't need routing under a light can. But you're gonna love having a light can in our waters :D!

Just get the cannister, girlfriends can be replaced. :D

Ugg, just don't get a girlfriend who dives or she will want everything you get. So that is not one can light, it is two! Trust me I know.

I like seeing people use shears in a case on the right side to tuck the hose under. Easy access to the shears and it holds the hose pretty well.

I have a long hose funny. I was in Cozumel diving right after getting certified (I was still in a Knighthawk BC and short hose with under 20 dives). The guy on our boat was from MI, and he was using a BP/W and a long hose. So I asked him if he was a wreck diver, and he said no, but he dreamed of it. As we are gearing up I watch him trying to figure out what to do with this long hose, as he is trying to wrap it from the left. So I whisper quietly "hey it goes from the right under your arm around the back of your neck into your mouth." He wraps his hose correctly this time and says "Thanks, I am still new to all my gear". Nice guy who really needed a good mentor. Hopefully someone back home took him in and helped him with his new gear.

So several years ago, after a very long hiatus from diving, I met up with some DIR guys in SoCal. At the time I had been rekindling my former interested in diving and was headed to San Diego for business. I had read about DIR here on SB and was interested so I posted and a few DIR fellows gladly offered to dive with me.

Poor guys were sitting on the bench in their drysuits sweating their asses off patiently waiting for me to get my s*^t together. I was feeling anxious at being waiting on and was kind of rushing around. I finally got everything ready, tossed my tank on and bent down to grab my fins. That's when my 7mil Parkway wet suit I got in high school about twenty years ago gave out and split right up my ass. :dork2:

I'm not sure if they ever even noticed but if they did they were kind enough to keep it to themselves.:D

Nice bunch of guys.

Hunter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom