Super secret DIR equipment? Post your stories (all in good fun)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I caught flak for doing a boat dive in doubles and drysuit in Florida a while back too. I had the last laugh on the way in when a front moved through and it turned cold and rainy. Everyone else was cold and miserable while we were warm and toasty. :D

Any tips or secrets for drysuits in Florida? We're doing T1 with Bob in February in the Keys and we both plan on wearing our drysuits. I have a DUI stretchliner that I'll probably use as undergarments but I also have a set of underarmor in case the stretchliner is too much.

Any tips or secrets for drysuits in Florida? We're doing T1 with Bob in February in the Keys and we both plan on wearing our drysuits. I have a DUI stretchliner that I'll probably use as undergarments but I also have a set of underarmor in case the stretchliner is too much.

Have the boat's cold water hose ready for frequent dousing...

"You're not going to get yourself killed in a cave are ya?"

Oh, no, actually, I had my goals set on killing myself in a wreck . . . :D

Drysuits in warm water? I don't know the specific temperature in the Keys, but I used my Diving Concepts dry base under a fleece sweatshirt and pants from Lands End in Egypt, and I was deliciously comfortable up to about 90 minutes in the water. I don't know how long I would have had to stay to get cold. I did 100 minute dives in 77 degrees in Mexico, and got a little cool at the end.

I've only dove dry on boats out of Florida a couple of times. We just had everything ready and waited til we were almost on site to start suiting up. I use a set of pinnacle undergarments that are a tad warm on the surface, but were great when we hit the thermocline at 170'.

Of course DIR "allows" single cylinders...

Threads like these wouldn't be so bad were it not for all the DIR-ignorant coming out of the woodwork jumping on the anti-DIR bandwagon.

And you guys are the same ones who complain about the DIR folks taking shots at you?

Get real ... if you're gonna comment, at least learn a little something about the subject first ... :shakehead:
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I appreciate your frustration NWGratefulDiver, but I was sincerely seeking answers while being a bit cheeky. Clearly you did not appreciate that, so while I am not sorry that I posted what I did, I am sorry that you were offended by it.

Might I suggest that TSandM's comments were much more helpful than your in this instance? Normally I very much enjoy your posts and responses.

What makes you think DIR divers don't have fun?

The amount of stereotyping that goes on in ScubaBoard is just ridiculous sometimes.

I don't know what's sadder ... that you would perpetuate such nonsense, or that an SB staff member would Thank you for it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was addressing my nor cal brethren (the ones quoted) who didn't seem to appreciate the thread Bob, not all DIR divers.
The thread was started to share humorous stories not be a bashing thread. thats all.

*DROOL*

I want a scooter SOOOO BAD. Speaking of which I have a pretty awesome scooter story.

The first time I ever dove a scooter was at a local quarry about 4 months ago with a local DIR instructor (ppO2 Diver on here) who was borrowing two mako's from a friend. We had done one dive on the shallow side buzzing the training platforms, doing loops, etc. It was AWESOME. Duane was taking video and was hanging back while I led. For some reason I really like stopping and flaring out (reminds me of parachuting?) The second dive we decided to do a lap of the entire quarry (about 30 minutes). I was so excited and having so much fun with the scooter that I really wasn't paying attention to what was directly in front of me. We were on the deeper side which is about 50' and we were following the wall around at about 35'. Visibility was pretty good so you could see the bottom from our depth. As we rounded the southwest corner of the quarry I had completely forgotten about the large 12" diameter pipe that runs from the surface down to the bottom at about a 60 degree angle. From our depth it was about 10' off the wall, just perfect enough for me to be looking down and not paying attention to what was in front of me and.... *WHAM* straight to the forehead. It felt like I got hit by a bus and I had no idea what happened. At first I thought something had happened with the scooter and maybe it exploded LOL. I could hear Duane laughing in his regulator behind me and when I finally realized I hit the pipe I couldn't stop laughing myself. Thank God for cold water and a 7mm hood otherwise I would have probably knocked myself out. Unfortunately (well fortunately for me) Duane had stopped taping otherwise it probably would have been the #1 video on youtube. :laughing:

Here's some fun on scooters (never figured out how to embed these YouTube things) ... four divers, one who is decidedly not DIR, but by far the best diver in the group ...

YouTube - 3 + 1 at Alki Reef

I appreciate your frustration NWGratefulDiver, but I was sincerely seeking answers while being a bit cheeky. Clearly you did not appreciate that, so while I am not sorry that I posted what I did, I am sorry that you were offended by it.

Might I suggest that TSandM's comments were much more helpful than your in this instance? Normally I very much enjoy your posts and responses.

I was addressing my nor cal brethren (the ones quoted) who didn't seem to appreciate the thread Bob, not all DIR divers.
The thread was started to share humorous stories not be a bashing thread. thats all.

Yeah, I was a bit grouchy this morning ... sorry, 'bout that.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited by a moderator:

For water in the 80 degree range, you will be fine with the 100 gram stretch liner but I still wear underarmour or something of that nature underneath. Mostly just to keep the moiture wicked off my skin. I dove in 84 degree water in a drysuit with only underarmour type clothing while my buddy wore a 300 gm fleece layer, but he lives in Bonaire and is pretty thin skinned.

I suggest strongly that as soon as you zip up your drysuit, (before you gear up) get into the water and get wet. Then you will benefit from evaporative cooling as you get your gear on. This makes a huge difference in tolerating the heat. Enjoy T-1

four divers, one who is decidedly not DIR, but by far the best diver in the group ...

Well, let's see . . . minimal, streamlined equipment, rock solid buoyancy control, clearly excellent team awareness. What makes him not DIR? Oh -- that's right, he's diving AIR!

Agreed! I'm far from "DIR-compliant" and I'm certainly not qualified to do anything approaching "technical" diving, but I'm definitely envious of the typical skillset I see from GUE/UTD/etc. divers. More importantly, I think that once you dive with those folks, it's really only a matter of opening your eyes and watching to see the practical benefits of some of their gear choices.

Bungeed octo? Upon seeing that for the first time, it immediately made sense to me and seemed like a really smart way to make a primary 2nd stage issue as comfortable to solve as possible. ADOPTED

Long hose? I haven't made the switch yet (still shopping for a can light to use as a hose catch), but I've been present-for/participated in OOA drills with somebody on a long hose, and I can tell you without hesitation which setup I'd rather use in an emergency. GOING TO ADOPT

BP/W? I was at the point where I was really happy with my Scubapro Knighthawk. My weighting was dialed in pretty well, and by and large my trim felt good. I felt like I'd hit a wall though, because the damn thing was extremely difficult to keep from sliding around a bit. Switching to a continuous webbing harness (even with the Halcyon cinch installed) has been a very noticeable improvement. My tank stays solidly positioned, I've got more weight on my back which makes trimming out way easier, and I've got less padding and clutter getting in my way. ADOPTED

Philosophy doesn't have to play into it at all - most of the choices simply make a lot of sense. :)

There are several ways to stowe the long hose without a can light, such as moving a knife to the spot to tuck under as well as stuffing it in your waiste band.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom