Super secret DIR equipment? Post your stories (all in good fun)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you read the quotes he quoted?

Yup ... they're from people who, like myself, get a bit tired of the same old stereotypes from the same people over and over and over.

It ain't any different, really, than the people who get tired of the PADI bashing ... or the fat diver bashing ... or the insta-buddy bashing.

It's all in fun ... as long as it ain't about you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My husband and I and another couple went down to the Keys in October for a weekend of diving. The charter we were diving with puts DM in the water for guided dives, but we decided to set out on our own. We had done 2 dives in the morning and just finished our first dive of the afternoon. The boat was just getting to the second dive site and the DM's were getting their groups together. We decided to wait to get into the water until after the 2 guided groups had. I was sitting at the back of the boat by myself enjoying a bit of quiet time (hubby and friends were set up at the front of the boat) when one of the DM interns comes up to me demanding I get ready. I explained my group was waiting until the guided dive groups had gotten the water and she said "I will help you get in your gear and then you wait here until I come get you!". Remembering when I first started my DM training, I was not going to argue with her. I slip into my BP/W and reached back to turn my air on. The DM pushes my hand away and turns the air on...fine...I'm not going to argue. She is just doing what she was trained to do. As I am putting my octo around my neck she grabs my primary. Her eyes get big and says "Is the hose supposed to be like this?!?". I told her yes, it is a 7 foot hose, typical for a DIR set-up. "DI-what?" Rather than try to explain, I tell her its my "tech" diving rig. With that, she hands me my primary and walks away without saying another word to me.

My girlfriend is the exact same way, whenever we do boat dives on vacations someone from the boat crew is always trying to help her gear up, she laughs and usually tells them she can handle it. I've been given a "look" before for not helping her which I thought was pretty funny. The only think I don't like the DM doing is turning our air on. When we were in Bonaire we were repeatedly called "crazy tech divers" even after correcting the staff about a dozen times lol. We ate dinner at the blue cactus one night while in bonaire and a group at a table across from us was talking about a crazy pair of divers they saw earlier with 10' octupus'. It was pretty funny :D

Hey, how did this thread end up being perceived as DIR-bashing or full of misconceptions?

It was started as a thread where we could tell some funny stories about things that have happened, or things people have said to us about the gear we use, how we dive, or how we are perceived. It was taken OUT of the DIR forum because it had nothing to do with asking questions about DIR equipment and procedures. It was just started to tell funny stories.

A couple of people have asked some (what appear to be) completely innocent questions, which have been answered.

It takes two people to make offense -- one who intends it and one who perceives it. I think there's a bunch of over-defensiveness here, perceiving offense where none was meant or given.

Can we tell some more funny stories? I like my "deer" one :)

Hey, how did this thread end up being perceived as DIR-bashing or full of misconceptions?

It was started as a thread where we could tell some funny stories about things that have happened, or things people have said to us about the gear we use, how we dive, or how we are perceived. It was taken OUT of the DIR forum because it had nothing to do with asking questions about DIR equipment and procedures. It was just started to tell funny stories.

A couple of people have asked some (what appear to be) completely innocent questions, which have been answered.

It takes two people to make offense -- one who intends it and one who perceives it. I think there's a bunch of over-defensiveness here, perceiving offense where none was meant or given.

Can we tell some more funny stories? I like my "deer" one :)

Or even better... "Gooey DEER divers"

We ate dinner at the blue cactus one night while in bonaire and a group at a table across from us was talking about a crazy pair of divers they saw earlier with 10' octupus'. It was pretty funny :D

Yeah - while in Bonaire last year my buddy and I were similarly accosted for our BP/W, long hoses, etc but it was the DRY SUITS that really had people scratching their heads...

WarmDry.jpg

I met a couple people in drysuits last time I was in Bonaire ... turned out to be Dick and Cathy Long ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yup ... they're from people who, like myself, get a bit tired of the same old stereotypes from the same people over and over and over.

It ain't any different, really, than the people who get tired of the PADI bashing ... or the fat diver bashing ... or the insta-buddy bashing.

It's all in fun ... as long as it ain't about you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I suppose im not getting the same "vibe" out of the thread as some others are, it seems to me that people are poking fun at themselves for the most part and not DIR bashing but meh.

I suppose im not getting the same "vibe" out of the thread as some others are, it seems to me that people are poking fun at themselves for the most part and not DIR bashing but meh.

Agreed

I suppose im not getting the same "vibe" out of the thread as some others are, it seems to me that people are poking fun at themselves for the most part and not DIR bashing but meh. Also who said I wasn't DIR? :wink:

Agreed

(Pardon redundancy, but this is a "backup" post in case my first reply fails.)

Back
Top Bottom