Super secret DIR equipment? Post your stories (all in good fun)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, I have shown up on dive boats with pink super kitty stickers on rainbow colored tanks or in black stealth ninja gear or Sea Hunt double hose and only in a blue moon does anyone ever say anything or ask anything about gear, other than once or twice (when I was in full vintage) the captain winked at me and asked me to come up before two hours so he could move the boat, I complied. Mostly, people ask questions, if any, about my camera and rarely about any gear, gear configuration or equipment, mine or other's. Well, the homemade LSU VIP stickers stir them up in Flariduh, a little.

I think there is something of a show off component to some of this. Isn't there a DIR forum?

N, doing it wrong so many years it feels right diver, DIWSMYIFRD

Come on guys lighten up. Just because your DIR doesn't mean you can't have fun too.

What makes you think DIR divers don't have fun?

The amount of stereotyping that goes on in ScubaBoard is just ridiculous sometimes.

I don't know what's sadder ... that you would perpetuate such nonsense, or that an SB staff member would Thank you for it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OK, TSandM - I will bite and reveal my ignorance of DIR diving. I thought you always wore doubles? If you were wearing doubles (with a manifold), AND it was suggested that you needed a pony, THAT would be funny. Were you only diving a single? If so, it that DIR-allowed? Also, is it preferable to dive a single only and not endure the disgrace of a pony bottle?

Cheers

Of course DIR "allows" single cylinders. And no ... they don't advocate the use of pony bottles, because they're not necessary. The DIR philosophy dictates that the amount of redundancy needed for a given dive is determined by the profile of the dive ... and that if you need redundant air, your dive buddy has reserved adequate supply for both of you.

Threads like these wouldn't be so bad were it not for all the DIR-ignorant coming out of the woodwork jumping on the anti-DIR bandwagon.

And you guys are the same ones who complain about the DIR folks taking shots at you?

Get real ... if you're gonna comment, at least learn a little something about the subject first ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have no doubt that some gear is superior to other gear in a given situation. The take-home message for me, however, was that a truly excellent diver can execute the dive, regardless of what kind of gear they wear. Gear-worship is a bit over-rated for me...

Depends on the dive ... you truly don't want to be into an overhead situation without some level of on-board redundancy ... and the appropriate level will be dictated by the profile of the dive.

But, of course, gear-worship has nothing to do with DIR ... gear is the least bit of what DIR is all about.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think, mostly, people go scuba diving to go diving, to see the underwater wonders, to enjoy their day, the company of their friends and have some fun, not to oogle gear configurations. Most conversations on boats usually involve these things, not the brand of diving or gear.

N

I think, mostly, people go scuba diving to go diving, to see the underwater wonders, to enjoy their day, the company of their friends and have some fun, not to oogle gear configurations. Most conversations on boats usually involve these things, not the brand of diving or gear.

N

True, though divers are obviously a curious bunch, and tend to ask questions when they come across something they haven't seen before. On long boat rides, gear discussions are common around here.

I often ask if I can play with people's computers and other doo-hickies when it strikes my fancy, and mostly they'll oblige (though I do sometimes run into guys who seem to take it as a personal affront that I would deign to ask such a thing... as if I'd befouled a family grave or something :p).

I fully expect questions when I pull a couple x-scooters onto the open boat this Saturday, and will bring a tow cord for when someone inevitably asks for a ride.

I think there is something of a show off component to some of this. Isn't there a DIR forum?

Yup, and this thread started there.

Of course DIR "allows" single cylinders. And no ... they don't advocate the use of pony bottles, because they're not necessary. The DIR philosophy dictates that the amount of redundancy needed for a given dive is determined by the profile of the dive ... and that if you need redundant air, your dive buddy has reserved adequate supply for both of you.

Threads like these wouldn't be so bad were it not for all the DIR-ignorant coming out of the woodwork jumping on the anti-DIR bandwagon.

And you guys are the same ones who complain about the DIR folks taking shots at you?

Get real ... if you're gonna comment, at least learn a little something about the subject first ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dude, the guy admitted ignorance and asked questions to resolve that ignorance. No need to jump down his throat.

Dude, the guy admitted ignorance and asked questions to resolve that ignorance. No need to jump down his throat.

Fair enough ... so let's just resolve some of the questions and assertions in this thread and address the ignorance ...

1. Not everyone wearing a long hose and backplate is DIR. IN fact, the vast majority of people who wear a long hose and backplare are not DIR.

2. DIR divers dive for fun ... just like everybody else.

3. DIR does not mandate that you wear doubles. They do mandate that you carry enough gas for the dive you plan to do, and reserve enough gas for both you and your dive buddy should an emergency occur. Sometimes that means doubles.

4. DIR divers do not use "pony bottles". For DIR divers, your redundant gas is always carried by your dive buddy.

5. DIR divers dive as a team ... that is the most fundamental tenet of diving DIR. Diving as a team means that you have made an effort to learn and apply certain rules to being a dive buddy. Those rules have nothing to do with being part of a "cult" ... they exist simply because it makes it easier to have fun if you and your buddy know what to expect from each other. It requires a modest amount of effort to learn, but once you get used to diving that way it requires no more effort than swimming around in a group following a divemaster. And it offers some significant advantages that the group divers don't have ... like being able to predict what your buddy's gonna do next.

6. DIR doesn't specify that your gear must be black. In fact, one of the best DIR divers I know has a bright yellow drysuit. Another one I know has pink hearts on her fins.

7. The vast majority of DIR divers don't really care about how YOU dive ... that's really YOUR business. In fact, if the last eight years of posting on ScubaBoard are any indication, I'd say non-DIR divers spend way more effort worrying about how DIR divers dive than the other way around.

Hope that helps ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Did you read the quotes he quoted?

What makes you think DIR divers don't have fun?

The amount of stereotyping that goes on in ScubaBoard is just ridiculous sometimes.

I don't know what's sadder ... that you would perpetuate such nonsense, or that an SB staff member would Thank you for it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom