Stuff inside your drysuit pockets - how to attach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
Let me try to explain what I am asking and anyone who has pictures...that would be great.

I have two bellows pockets on my Diving Concepts drysuit. I understand (and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong - as if I had to ask) that everything in there should be clipped off using a double-ender to a bungee loop that is attached to the inside of the pocket.

Something like this...

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/pocket_bungee_r.jpeg

So my question is - does the bungee just run through that hole and over the top of the pocket and tie back in on itself the way that it appears?

Should my pockets have come pre-configured this way, or is this something that I can just do after the fact?

Thanks in advance,
KKM

I run the bungee through the hole. Use a knot that wont come undone easily and make it larger than the hole. Clipping is easy and make sure you keep a spare double ender in there just in case you lose one.

Eric

King Kong Matt once bubbled...

So my question is - does the bungee just run through that hole and over the top of the pocket and tie back in on itself the way that it appears?

Yes

Should my pockets have come pre-configured this way, or is this something that I can just do after the fact?

No. Just poke a hole (or two) through. Use a soldering iron or hot screwdriver for a neat finish

I bought a grommet kit from the hardware store and ran the bungee thru it and knotted it.

I put grommets inthe holes, keeps them from unraveling and makes it look nicer.

The pockets we bought from fifthD had grommets in the upper portion of the side and we did exactly as you describe... made a loop (I just have one loop on the forward edge) and secure them with a knot.

If your pockets did not come with grommets you can burn a small hole there and use it as is or install a grommet or two.

My DUI pockets had a grommet in the bottom and I made a loop comming up from there (all on the inside of the pocket) but it doesn't work as well as having the loop on the upper edge so I am going to change it.

Hope this helps... if you need pictures let me know.

Some pockets come with cords (Halcyons do), most don't. You can either A- run one end of cord thru the hole and the other over the top and tie together or B- use smaller cord and run both ends thru hole and tie knot too big to pull thru the hole. I've done both, prefer B.

WW

Wow...thanks for the quick replies...and from the people I was looking for answers from no less.

OK, so while I have your ear...one more question.

I can't tell from the pic whether the holes were put in the leading or trailing edge of the pocket. I would ASSUME that it is the trailing edge for entanglement reasons, but if someone could verify that...

And again, thanks for the quick help.

King Kong Matt once bubbled...
I can't tell from the pic whether the holes were put in the leading or trailing edge of the pocket. I would ASSUME that it is the trailing edge for entanglement reasons, but if someone could verify that...

And again, thanks for the quick help.

I have a cord on each side of my pockets, two cord loops per pocket.

WW

I did it using two *simple* knots...

1. Cut a length of 1/8" bungee, about 14-16" in length (trim excess later)

2. Tie an "overhand loop" knot, making the loop about 4-6" long when pulled flat.

3. Pass this through the grommet in the side of the pocket from the inside, so that the loop is on the inside of the pocket, and the ends of the bungee *both* poke out the hole to the outside of the pocket.

4. Make an "overhand knot" using both strands of the bungee, and slide it up snug against the outside pocket wall. Stretch the bungee really tight, and it will stay in place. Basically you want a stopper knot on the outside of the pocket, so you can pull the loop from the inside of the pocket and it stays in place, and the knot of the overhand loop on the inside of the pocket.

5. Trim and melt the ends of the bungee on the outside of the pocket.

Here's pictures of the knots I mentioned - the overhand loop is shown, but the overhand knot is only shown with a single strand - you will be tying it with two strands at once.

http://www.climbing.ie/knots.html

Eventually I'll put up a page with pictures showing how to do this (took me ages to find out how to attach it myself).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom