So many hogs to choose, help me narrow em down....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the mix and match thing. DeepOutdoors plate with Oxycheq wing and Diverite STA for my singles rig. then an OMS aluminum plate with DSS wing for my doubles.
I've bought some webbing and hardware from golemgear for one of my plates and it was excellent quality and service as well.
It will be hard to narrow it down to one brand being better than the other. check out all the options for each and select on which one best fits your taste

I really like my hammerhead plate and Oxycheq wing combo.
My buddy also has a hammerhead plate, but uses an Agir Brokk (ebay link) wing. He loves it and I was very impressed with it. Very tough and very compact.

-Ben

I highly recommend Deep Sea Supply as well. I have one of Tobin's SS backplates and will buy another as soon as I can get some other gear higher on the list. It may be the only piece of gear that I purchased new. But I am pretty sure it will outlast me.

His Hogarthian Single Piece Harness is a great buy, I bought two and couldnt be happier. I also plan to buy one of his Torus 42 doubles wings when I can.

I do have an Oxycheq singles wing that is very nice. I got an exceptional deal on it and that is why I purchased it over a Torus singles wing. I just couldnt find any used Torus wings out there.

Willie

Since my LDS sucks (Charleston, West Virginia), I have been using Northeast Scuba Supply for some of my Internet and phone purchases. I have been pleased with the service.

While I won't offer advice on a BP/W (I have experience only with the OMS setup), I can tell you that NE Scuba Supply is a reliable dealer.

After looking around for a bit, I am feeling that I will purchase everything separately. I am probably going to go with a Hammerhead SS Plate, and as for wing I am thinking about going with a horseshoe wing. I have been reading and heard they are more streamlined, any thoughts on this? I like having less buoyancy at the top and more at the bottom. The wing I am thinking of getting is an Oxycheq Wing for doubles. As for the harness, I like Halcyons harness but does anyone know I can just purchase the harness alone? So far I haven't been able to find the harness w/out the BP. I've thought about getting the deluxe harness from northeast Scuba Supply. Only the harness but I'm concerned about the deluxe harness not being one continuous piece of webbing. Does anyone think that the webbing connected to the D rings could make a potential failure spot? of course I would cut the chest strap off. I like the extra ring on the harness but I could always just put on a D ring on a continuous webbing harness instead correct? Here is the link:
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/specials/bp_famous_specials.html
This is my main concern and one reason I may not decide on this and opt for a traditional hog harness. On a side note, I've liked the ArmadilloCCR Side mount, anyone have any opinions on this or have used it?

Sunfire85:
As for the harness, I like Halcyons harness but does anyone know I can just purchase the harness alone?

What is it about the Haclyon you like?

Extreme Exposure sells the Halcynon Standard harness with crotch strap for $64.00.

LeisurePro sells three different DR harnesses for $33.00, $43.00, and $46.00 and three different crotch straps for $6.00, $9.00, and $14.00.

I don't know about Sunfire, but I LOVE the Halcyon harness because of the webbing. It's thinner and more flexible than, for example, the Reef Scuba webbing. But that's a really personal thing -- Rick Inman bought the Halcyon webbing and hated it and replaced it within a week. "Weebly wobbly webbing" was his term for it.

The only issue I have with the Halcyon webbing is all those annoying blue H's . . .

I think most guys will prefer the stiffer webbing.

There is good and bad hardware... The best I've found comes from DSS, Oxy, H, and FredT.

I order webbing by huge rolls from Reefscuba.com

I prefer to get my crotch straps pre-made. Really good ones can be ordered from the companies above.

If you're buying the hammerhead plate get the harness kit from them too. It's cheap, complete, and good quality hardware. I don't think anyone else's harness kit will be any better or cheaper.

-Ben

Interestingly, Stephen, my LDS sells two webbings: The stiff stuff, and something even a little thinner and flimsier than the Halcyon. They can't keep the thin stuff in stock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom