Back Pack Wing HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljpm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I have come to the conclusion that bp/w is probably the best choice for my wife and I, my wife being on the short side and I being on the tall side of average. My problem is obtaining info. Everyone has an opinion, but I am looking more for information rather than opinions. From what I have been able to put together, I need a harness, back plate and a wing. I am initially looking for a bp/w for my wife (since my daughter will be able to use her jacket BCD). From reading on various threads I am considering a short deluxe harness from North East scuba supply Short Deluxe Harness . I am also looking at a short back plate (haven't decided yet so am open to options). That unfortunately is the extent of my knowledge of back plates. I have no idea about what to look for in a wing.

Questions,

1. Do all wings fit all back plates?
2. Wings? I don't feel I know enough to even ask relevant questions. We dive both cold (St. Lawrence river) and warm water (vacation diving). We are very much rec. divers. Also, ring bladders, U shaped bladders, double bladders????
3. Do all harnesses (specifically the one I noted above) fit all back plates?

I would also appreciate any links to unbiased discussions about the pros and cons of the various configurations.

Also, my son 12 and daughter 15 also now dive so gear is getting expensive so cost effective options are always appreciated.

Again, I understand everyone has an opinion but I would prefer if responses were phrased as pros and cons of each option rather than simply 'I love this set up'.

Jim.

Quick answer:
1. NO
2. Various wing capacity from 18lbs upward. No need for duel bladder.
3. DIY the harness would be the most cost effective.

I will let the expert to take over.

1. no, but mostly. Some require STA's i.e. Halcyon, others can't use them i.e. DSS.

2. no double bladders necessary, 30lbs is about enough for most people in most circumstances. I prefer horseshoes so I can pack air easily into both sides of the wing, others prefer donuts so they don't have to do a bit of rolling to get all of the air out of the wing.

3. yes, but deluxe harnesses really don't do much if you have a properly fitted plate. I believed in deluxe harnesses and transplates before I got my first long pattern DSS plate and after that I dive with a one piece harness exclusively.

1. If you use and STA then all wings will fit the backplates. The wing is sandwiched between the plate and the STA. The advantage is the wing can be removed easily for cleaning and storage. The disadvantage is it moves the tank farther from the plate. If you do not want to use an STA, the wing is held into position by the tank bands that are threaded through both the wing and the plate. Some people further hold the wing to the plate with book screws. In order for the tank bands to pass through both the wing and the plate the slots need to line up. There is some variation in the vertical spacing of the slots where the cam bands pass which varies by manufacturer. So one manufacturer's plate may not wind up matching another manufacturer's wing. Some wings try to make themselves universal by increasing the length of the slots to take into account these differences. For example HOG, Dive Rite, OMS, and Oxycheq.

My wife and daughter use that harness. Wife is short and both are barrel chested (swimmer's builds). That pivot is nice as webbing won't bend where it needs to for them. With that, a chest strap is a necessity. Also, a BP/w should use a crotch strap for stability.

It may be easiest to purchase a package (DiveRite, Deep Sea Supply, HOG, other?) so you know everything fits together, but asking here may also get answers as there are many who have tried stuff. I use a number of wings and plates from various manufacturers for our gear.

As you are splitting time with warm and cold, Tom gave you sound advice that a 30# wing would serve both well. We use that size for Erie/Ontario/St. Lawrence/Huron as well as occasional warm water (though I have added smaller wings to our collection for travel).

Good luck, and ask as many questions as you need.

Shoot me your email. I have an 11 page article on BPW's and their options, adjusting, setting up, weighting options, and storage concerns. A non illustrated version is also in my second book.

HOG 32 # wing on sale for $150
5 Left!**Special Limited Supply**32lb HOG Wing New Style ****Black/Red Model****

Stainless steel back plate on sale for $70
Blue Reef Stainless Steel Back Plate

I use a HOG 23# wing for my single tank rig and like it. After I got it, I sold my DSS wing. I have no reason to think the HOG 32# wing would be any less quality than its 23# sibling.

I also have that Blue Reef back plate. It is my full-time BP for diving doubles. I also like it just fine. For your cold water diving up in the SLR, you probably want a stainless steel BP and a wing that is at least 30#.

These two items plus a harness and some tank straps and you should be good to go.

I use these ScubaPro-style quick release tank straps:
DGX Tank Strap, Quick Release with S/S Hinge Buckle

After using regular cam bands and Highlands QR tank straps, I like these by far the best. Besides making tank changes quick and easy, it also makes it where you can easily remove and replace any wing from your back plate. With regular cam bands and most wings you would have to unthread the cam bands to remove/replace the wing.

Whatever back plate you get, just make sure it has slots for cam bands. Most do, but a few don't. With slots, you can choose whether to use an STA or not. Without slots, you have no choice and are required to use an STA.

I know this thread is old, but I dive with my family. I started diving with a cheap jacket style, then an expensive “wing” with tons of pockets and hardware. Then a trans pack then backplate and wings. I do warm and cold water and we range in size from “nugget” who is 65# to me at 6’ 218. THE MOST versital and cost effective means of getting everyone geared up is simple harness and back plate. We have diverite, scuba pro and hog backplates and wings from oxychec diverite and hog and they all are universal. We use single tank adapters for adults and none with the kids. They all took to BP/w extremely well and the streamlined profile and simplicity makes diving easy for them. As they grow, we simply adjust or replace the harness. Another advantage is everyone knows everyone else’s configuration and it’s universal. “Travel wings” work great for aluminum 80’s and the aluminum 60 for the little guy (he could almost use a 40”. The largest we have is a 32# which handles a steel 120. The beauty is the compatibility. And the cost long term. I couldn’t be more proud of my kids. They have great trim, they correct each other if something is left dangling and compete for better buoyancy and in water skills. I firmly believe they can do that because there are no gear differences. My youngest sometimes coaches adults, which is hilarious to watch.

Kudos for getting the family underwater

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom