Should i purchase the VPM Deco Algorithm with my Perdix AI ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tcaqua

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all. I'm a new diver about to buy his first dive computer and after lots research, reviews, etc.. I have decided to purchase the Perdix AI. My question is... Should I purchase the optional VPM Deco Algorithm for $55 as well?? I don't know much about all the different algorithms.

I'm really new and someday I hope to tech dive but that will probably be awhile off. I know I can grow with the Perdix AI. :thumb:

I will mostly be diving our local freshwater quarries, Atlantic, Pacific, and the Caribbean.

Suggestions?

Don't waste your money.

No. For the diving you will be doing, you're just adding an unnecessary bit of duplication. As you pointed out yourself, you don't understand the difference between algorithms anyway so there's no point. The Shearwaters are great computers and work just fine out of the box.

Tech diving may be in your future but that should be years and 100s of dives from now and you can reassess then.

Save your $55 for airfills.

VPM was popular 15 years ago, most have moved away from VPM and RGBM for tech over the last 5-8 years.

Save $55

As other have said save your money. Perdix is a great computer. You'll not be disappointed!

Thanks men. I have been reading the NEDU study threads and my head is spinning trying to keep up with all of it. It is interesting though. I watched a video of a diver on youtube last night who recorded his own death (via helmet cam) as he apparently blacked out diving deep on air and it got my attention. I just want to be safe.

Thanks all.

Thanks men. I have been reading the NEDU study threads and my head is spinning trying to keep up with all of it. It is interesting though. I watched a video of a diver on youtube last night who recorded his own death (via helmet cam) as he apparently blacked out diving deep on air and it got my attention. I just want to be safe.

Thanks all.

This video by DAN South Africa (Simon Mitchell) is really useful for explaining where these algos work and where they came from. Give it a watch.

Stay within your limits and you will be safe.

Last edited:
I do not think you should buy the VPM unlock code.

First of all, it would only be of any use if you were doing decompression dives, and it appears, from what you have stated, that it will be some time before you start technical diving training.

Secondly, most scientists believe, nowadays, that VPM distributes decompression times deeper than optimal. That is, a different model will provide, for the same dive profile, a decompression schedule that is shorter and yet at least as safe as the VPM schedule. For this reason, the number of people planning their dives with VPM has been dwindling, and it is likely that your tech instructor will recommend you use a different model.

Finally, you can always buy the unlock later, if you so wish.

Hi all. I'm a new diver about to buy his first dive computer and after lots research, reviews, etc.. I have decided to purchase the Perdix AI. My question is... Should I purchase the optional VPM Deco Algorithm for $55 as well?? I don't know much about all the different algorithms.

I'm really new and someday I hope to tech dive but that will probably be awhile off. I know I can grow with the Perdix AI. :thumb:

I will mostly be diving our local freshwater quarries, Atlantic, Pacific, and the Caribbean.

Suggestions?
Hi Tcaqua and welcome to SB. You are going to love the Perdix. I dive the Petrel and I do use VPM. But I doubt you will have any need for it in the foreseeable future if ever. The algorithm supplied with the Perdix is very adaptable to most divers needs.

Also, as a new diver I assume you will be using the Perdix in rec mode? In this mode you will not even have the option of VPM. To use this algorithm you would need to use tech mode.

Back
Top Bottom