Perdix AI Battery Drain Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend looking at page 3... Perdix AI - Shearwater Research
go to support and downloads and pull release notes for your device... ( what the "cloud crapplicaiton shows you is NOT what the notes show" )
V93 they said did "nothing", but it does enough to be listed as a new version....

This release is only for Perdix 2, Perdix AI, Perdix and Petrel 2.This release for the Perdix 2, Perdix AI, Perdix and Petrel 2 has no new features or fixes. It only adds support for minor hardware changes needed due to electronic component supplyconstraints. The changed components are functionally identical and do not add new features or improved performance.This firmware update is not required. No changes in operation will be noticed after updating.Hardware requiring this firmware will be factory programmed with this version.

Attachments

• Petrel2-PerdixAI-Perdix2-Nerd2-v95-Release-Notes-EN-RevB.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
V93 they said did "nothing", but it does enough to be listed as a new version....
What V93 does is laid out pretty clearly in the Release Notes.

It doesn't add new features and doesn't have any benefit for existing devices. Shearwater had trouble getting ahold of certain electronic components. They don't explain exactly which components, but it could be processor, memory, antenna, etc. The original device was not available, so they had to use an alternate that is functionally equivalent. The original firmware wouldn't work with these components, so the firmware was updated to allow operation of either the original or the new component. This is actually very common in electronics manufacturing, and even more common in the past few years.

What V93 does is laid out pretty clearly in the Release Notes.

It doesn't add new features and doesn't have any benefit for existing devices. Shearwater had trouble getting ahold of certain electronic components. They don't explain exactly which components, but it could be processor, memory, antenna, etc. The original device was not available, so they had to use an alternate that is functionally equivalent. The original firmware wouldn't work with these components, so the firmware was updated to allow operation of either the original or the new component. This is actually very common in electronics manufacturing, and even more common in the past few years.
Dell EMC NetApp Data General Wang 30+ years in Tech I get that however ( battery drain people saying the unit has issue, but FW update change and magically no it was not the firmware ) that fixed the issue...
I know when you do FW updates they are supposed to list all changes, However that is not always the case [especially if there is something which needs to slowly be fixed ] ergo EMC DART I2C bus update NS40~NSX tornado FW vs old PLC link rs232 ... interesting V91~v95 and pull was able to get a sucessful BT trace negotiation ( Droid IOS and Linux ) all attempts before on V91 were failures with the most recent version and required a battery (push/pull) before FW update... so yes I understand your point, but not explaining why things worked smoothly after the update. That is my main point. App notes for v95 did not agree either... Just saying... [ in the end 1:1 ] that is what got me in Trouble with Goldman Sachs doing a Upgrade when ENG notes did not Agree w what was sent to the customer.... for prod use... [it is a slippery slope]

OP, did you ever get an answer from Shearwater?

My wife’s in doing this now. Mine, bought at the same time, isn’t.
I eventually sent it in to the designated Shearwater service center in NZ where it remained for a month or two. I'm told that it has been fixed and has been returned to my LDS but I'm on a month long trip and will only get back sometime in April. Will update when I find out what required fixing.

OP, did you ever get an answer from Shearwater?

My wife’s in doing this now. Mine, bought at the same time, isn’t.
I finally went round to my LDS and they had a new Perdix 2 (without warranty) to replace my faulty 2017 Perdix AI. No charges of any sort. Well done Shearwater.

Back
Top Bottom