• Perdix (used) ~$530

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Perdix AI (used, 6 dives) ~ $670

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Perdix 2 (open box) - $970

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucaben

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for a dive computer that will last me awhile and something that I can grow into. I am getting my AOW certification and nitrox soon and figured I should get my first dive watch. I am torn between the Perdix 2 (used), Perdix (used) / Perdix Ai (used), and Peregrine (new).

Will the Perdix and Perdix AI still be serviceable in a few years?

If I got into tec diving could I use the Peregrine as a backup to a Perdix ? Or do people use double Perdix?

TYIA!

Of those, probably the Perdix would be my choice.

At this level, though, there's much to be said for something cheaper, with the difference going toward other gear. You can sell whatever you get in a year or two or use it in gauge mode or possibly use it as backup.

Yes, dual Perdix (AI or non-AI) is common for technical diving. A Peregrine could serve as backup up until Trimix.

The Deep 6 Excursion is arguably the best future-proofing choice at the moment. Buhlmann+GF algorithm like the other Shearwaters, and multi-gas for $350. Upgradeable (for a price) to Trimix later.

Hello, I am looking for a dive computer that will last me awhile and something that I can grow into. I am getting my AOW certification and nitrox soon and figured I should get my first dive watch. I am torn between the Perdix 2 (used), Perdix (used) / Perdix Ai (used), and Peregrine (new).
I originally voted Perdix 2, but changed to Perdix AI as the new features may not be worth the $300. Depends really on how much you value the vibration alerts, though.
Will the Perdix and Perdix AI still be serviceable in a few years?
I'd be shocked if they weren't. They use many of the same components, or at least in the same sizes as the Perdix 2. They share the same firmware, etc.
If I got into tec diving could I use the Peregrine as a backup to a Perdix ? Or do people use double Perdix?
You could use the Peregrine to a point. It won't support Trimix, so that would be a limitation that the double Perdix doesn't have. It does use the same algorithm with presets as well as custom GFs for air and Nitrox as any of the others. Screen size is the same as well.

In short, you have to decide what is important to you, and weigh the cost.

Peregrine: Has vibration alerts. No audible alerts. No compass, No Air integration, No Tech mode, support for up to 3 OC gas mixes.
Perdix: No vibration or audible alerts. Has compass. No Air integration. Has tech mode, support for up to 5 OC/CC gas mixes.
Pedix AI: Same as Perdix but has Air integration.
Perdix 2: Some as Perdix AI, but also has vibration alerts, a glass screen and titanium bezel.

Perdix AI. The 2 is nice because it has haptic alerts but not worth the additional $$ imo. The 2 at $970 isn't terrible but you'd have essentially the same computer for $300 less and could use that money to buy a transmitter.

The Deep 6 Excursion is arguably the best future-proofing choice at the moment. Buhlmann+GF algorithm like the other Shearwaters, and multi-gas for $350. Upgradeable (for a price) to Trimix later.
Still the Black Friday $300 price until Dec 17.

The alert and more so the enhanced readability of the perdix 2 I do think is worth the $$$

Peregrine is a great computer for you.

And another cheesehead. What is in the water north of the border? 🤣😁 We’ve had a ton of WI divers sign up lately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom