Perdix AI / Perdix 2 battery display changes during/after dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is at least one other thread about Perdix batteries being displayed with much lower voltages during dives:

And following advice in that thread I looked at the plot of battery voltage during the dives. Not very informative, as they all show a straight-line with a voltage reading of 1.5V (what a fresh AA should have), even though the display definitely changed (a lot!) during the dive. I think the "plot" is just showing the expected voltage for a battery of the type inserted, not the actual voltage.

Are you diving in cold water? That is pretty standard behavior up here in the Lakes. Batteries lose voltage at low temperatures.

I tried getting sw to implement a "replace battery" notification after xx number of dives or xx hours. They brushed me off and tried to help me troubleshoot the "issue" :poke:

Do you have the battery type set correctly? I had a problem with mine when I bought it off a friend and he had the wrong type selected, so showed as low when I think it probably wasn't. I get at least 85 to 90 hours dive on my Perdix from Lithium, but not AI.

I had this with the lithium battery delivered with my Perdix 2. Not really cold water, roughly same as air temperature, but it lasted about five dives before it would show a warning every dive and then look fine after the dive. I replaced it with a Saft -- no vibration, but I don't really care, and this one appears to actually work.

I see this in cold water when the battery is getting a bit used.

For info, in settings in advanced config you can see how many hours you have used the battery since the last change.

IMG_2862.jpeg

I see this with the energizer ultimate lithiums I use in my Perdix AI & Perdix 2. I don’t rely on the battery gauge but rather use hours to determine when to replace the battery.

Do you leave the battery in the computer inbetween dives? I take it out if I am not diving the next day. I wonder if there is a small current draw even when off that reduces the duration of your batteries

Do you leave the battery in the computer inbetween dives? I take it out if I am not diving the next day. I wonder if there is a small current draw even when off that reduces the duration of your batteries

In my opinion, thats not a good idea. Whatever battery life you may be saving is in lieu of a potential flood.

I think by opening and closing the batter compartment, not only are you reducing the life of your o-rings with unnecessary wear, but you're likely to introduce a flood. One day the o-ring may not be sitting right and will allow water in.
Theres also a chance of dust, hair, or particles that will attach to an o-ring and cause a flood.

I never set the cap down on a table when I change the battery, nothing should touch the lubricated o-rings.

I wonder if there is a small current draw even when off that reduces the duration of your batteries
Ambient pressure is measured every 30 s [Edit: 5 minutes] when "off". Still, it takes a LONG time to be a significant battery drain. I'd be more worried about wear/contamination on the O ring with frequent removal/replacement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom