Should i purchase the VPM Deco Algorithm with my Perdix AI ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buhlmann ZHL16-C is a fine algorithm, very flexible and not under a shadow of doubt.

My recommendation is to stick with the Buhlmann, but educate yourself well on how Gradient Factors work. There's a plethora of GF resources online.

Gradient Factor is all you need unless there is major breakthrough on decompression theory in the future.
"Deco for divers" by Mark Powell is a good introduction on the topic. Enjoy.

Thanks men. I have been reading the NEDU study threads and my head is spinning trying to keep up with all of it. It is interesting though. I watched a video of a diver on youtube last night who recorded his own death (via helmet cam) as he apparently blacked out diving deep on air and it got my attention. I just want to be safe.

Thanks all.

I applaud your desire for safety in diving. Just to clarify blacking out at depth is unrelated to the decompression algorithm or model used on ASCENT. Sorry to hear of a divers death, but rest assured his life wouldn't have been saved by spending 55$.

Thankfully you're dozens if not hundreds of hours diving away from needing to deal with the subtle differences in decompression algorithms for recreational dive profiles.

Great question and an important and much debated topic, just remember start with the basics.

A light caution if I may: There's a danger of filling one's head with knowledge that is useful far in the future and accidentally forgetting the important thing that need learned now.

Enjoy the learning,
Cameron

Ok. New diver here. I too just bought the Perdix AI, but I didn't see this thread before coughing up my $55 for VPM. Not that I'm necessarily going to use the feature, but can someone who uses it tell me which menu it is under so I can make sure I actually received the upgrade? I've tried switching from OC Rec to OC Tec to CC/BO. I only see the Buhlmann mode.

Thanks!
Chris

Ok. New diver here. I too just bought the Perdix AI, but I didn't see this thread before coughing up my $55 for VPM. Not that I'm necessarily going to use the feature, but can someone who uses it tell me which menu it is under so I can make sure I actually received the upgrade? I've tried switching from OC Rec to OC Tec to CC/BO. I only see the Buhlmann mode.

Thanks!
Chris

I think I'll post this on a different thread. It's probably better asked somewhere else. PM me if you do have an answer though :wink:

Thanks!
Chris

It is under Deco Setup..

Capture.JPG

As a new diver, you probably want to set your Perdix to recreational nitrox mode. It should do everything you want or need. The VPM model is not available as an option in recreational nitrox mode, even if you've unlocked the algorithm. As everyone has said, the Bühlmann ZHL-16C with gradient factors deco model should work great for everything you might do.

Hi all. I'm a new diver about to buy his first dive computer and after lots research, reviews, etc.. I have decided to purchase the Perdix AI. My question is... Should I purchase the optional VPM Deco Algorithm for $55 as well?? I don't know much about all the different algorithms.

There is a great deal that can be said about this but the conclusion is that VPM is inferior to Buhlmann, which is the default algorithm. You neither need VPM, nor will you use if if you ever get into technical diving.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom