Sewing webbing ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is the best way to sew webbing? I have seen some nice sewing jobs in this forum for knife and snip holders.

What kind of machine would be best?

thanks in advance :confused:

Industrial machines would be best for webbing as its fairly thick, especially doubled over for a sheath. I've looked at some but their pricey for just hobby work. For regular nylon cordura a home machine should be fine. I've used a Kenmore home machine for cordura using nylon B69 thread with minor modifications. Webbing is much more difficult because the motor isn't strong enough (may burn out) and the needles will break ... trust me, I've gone though a bunch trying to sew webbing with my Kenmore :)

I should point out that this is new to me so perhaps some of this is due to poor technique. HTH

Go find you friednly neighborhood cobbler (shoe guy). They have machines that can sew your arms together (if you're into that), so the heavy webbing is no big deal. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks for small jobs. Well, around here anyway.

-Frank

Any of the Singer of Pffaf comerical machines will sew webbing.

We use a singer 115 that is 20 years old and it still sews perfectly.

You can buy these machines for around 200-2500 dollars.

Mike...

scubapunk-17055 once bubbled...
Go find you friednly neighborhood cobbler (shoe guy). -Frank

Also check with your local Upholstery shop!

Mark

If you don't want to drop a bundle on a sewing machine but don't want to farm it out to a cobbler or upholstry shop, get yourself a sewing awl (about $12).
see: http://www.paragear.com
Go to "rigging equipment" and then "page 2".
They're also available at some camping or leather work stores.

can you explain exactly how the auto awl works? Just thinking about the time involved to use it mainly. Say that I'm sewing a 2" strap back onto itself to form a loop... about how long would it take to do it with the awl? One other questions... what's the best thread to use? I'm sure that paragear probably carries that also... thanks for the info

By hand works good, but won't look as good as a dialed in machine stitch, but with black webbing and black thread who will notice?

Dialing in the sewing machine for heavy webbing might take longer than doing it by hand. I have used a heavy duty(not commercial) Singer machine for sewing both flat and tubular webbing. Get the largest needle available for the machine, with a large thread hole. I believe a ball point needle is what worked best for me, it doesn't cut the fabric the way an ordinary needle does. Use thick thread, I think nylon upholstery thread, making sure it has a smooth feel, so it won't jam in the machine. For what you are talking about, a regular stitch will be adequate, but if you want a lot of strength, do a zig zag stitch, but expect to do some practising before you have good results.

You might be surprised at how good a job can be done by hand, with just needle and thread.

I'd have to concur with Mr. Austin.

If you're just sewing a knife pouch or snips holder, why waste the time trying to find such a machine. The Halcyon webbing is tuff stuff.

I just used a heavy-duty needle and some heavy-duty upholstry thread to sew it. I threaded the needle by hand as far as it would go and used some pliers to drag it through the rest of the way. Makes a nice little project during commercials or something.

A thimble makes the job a lot easier on the fingers; either the classic grandma type or a sailmakers, which straps onto your hand, positioning the "thimble" part in the palm of your hand for more pushing power.

Back
Top Bottom