I need recommendation on a good Octo holder.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aside from my old standbys -- loops of surgical tubing and a cable ties -- I have always liked the two-piece velcro-lined keepers, which securely hold an octopus, and only require a minor tug to separate.

Couldn't find the current version of it; but here are some similar ones, listed on LexCorp.

Cheap, quick and dirty . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 1.08.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 1.08.15 PM.png
    503.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 1.23.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 1.23.33 PM.png
    316.4 KB · Views: 61
Which reg do you use?I have both Scubapro regs and an Apeks Xtx50 reg and I find the circumference of the base of the mouthpiece on the Apeks to be quite large compared to Scubapro.

So I have doubts if the Scubapro octo holder will be able to stretch and clamp around an Apeks without ripping off the mouthpiece if tugged at…
I have one on my Hog and also used one on my Apeks reg set but I use an Egress octo which is a larger size but it still works

I use 2 hose clippers, one on my right waist D-ring & one on my right chest D-ring.

IMG_2965.jpeg

One like that. Or a Gen 5.

I use 2 hose clippers, one on my right waist D-ring & one on my right chest D-ring.

View attachment 820629

Here’s my regulator kit attached to my BCD using the double hose clips looks like.

IMG_2968.jpeg

I tried different kinds of Octopus attachments mentioned previously and got detached during a few of giant stride entries. This attachment seems to hold the Octopus better than the others.

The double hose clip also allows me to clip my primary 2nd stage regulator (with the blue hose) next to the Octopus when I’m not using it, as shown in the picture, above. I don’t need to reach out behind me and swipe my right arm to find the blue hose as it is right there attached to my BCD right shoulder D-ring.

I found the Scubapro Octo holder & plug to be the best, it actually held and could still be easily accessed when needed.

I used to use those holder & plug. My Octopus came off it during one of giant stride entry.

I know this is radical and a little loony but hear me out: a bungee necklace so that you can take your primary out of your mouth FAST and donate it to someone who's out of gas. Your necklace reg is then VERY easily reached since its right below your face always.

I can’t donate my primary reg because:
1. The hose is too short.
2. The mouth piece is molded to my teeth (as shown, below)

If OOA diver is pulling my primary reg out of my mouth, he / she ends up bashing my face against his / her face. When that happens, I would hold the back of his / her neck, with my left hand, grab my Octopus with my right hand and shove it to his / her mouth.

IMG_2655.jpeg

The hose is too short.
(For people who may be reading and less familiar.)

It is easy to swap a hose, adding or removing a few inches to any hose. This hose-length was probably deliberately chosen by Dan, because it's the most comfortable and convenient for him, and his kit is setup for to "secondary donate" his octo.

For anyone who wishes to secondary donate, use a necklace, or any other "non standard" config, I recommend telling your dive buddy which regulator is theirs in an emergency. For example, I either dive sidemount or with a pony. My primary or left is always on a necklace. My "right" (pony or secondary tank) is on a breakaway bolt-snap clipped to my chest, or occasionally breathed from, and has a very brightly colored hose, 7ft long (mostly tucked under bungies). I brief my buddies, in an emergency, always grab (don't ask or signal) the regulator with a brightly colored hose. That leaves the one around my neck for me.

Octo holder. I've switched to primary donate, so this is my son's gear (reg added for illustration, I don't store it like this).

1000006490.jpg

Back
Top Bottom