DUI ZipSeals to Si-Tech QCS DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njaimo

Registered
Reaction score
Thought I share this, as I had been quite worried about replacing my ZipSeals with the Si-Tech QCS PU Ring, to use with Rolock 90 system gloves.

A while ago I started this thread drysuit cuff repair/replace but started this new one with a title easier to point to the issue.

After over a year of fretting the DIY approach, and worrying the QCS PU rings would not fit in my DUI sleeves once I removed the ZipSeals, I am happy to share that the fit is perfect ! So if anyone is thinking about doing the same, it is a definite go.

All I have left to do is find a proper glue. One bit I would like to fix, though not a "must have" is to find a way to remove some of the old DUI left over glue. It seems it will be a chore to remove, but really do not have to, as it will be within the new glue strip area. I tried softening it with a heat gun and try to peel off, but that did not work. Does anyone have any other ideas ? would sanding work ? any chemicals that might do the rick ?

Pics below. You can see that the ZipSeal was sewed to the cuff and then sealed with the glue. I will not be sewing the Si-Tech ring.

Attachments

• IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1027.JPG
    IMG_1027.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1029.JPG
    IMG_1029.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 62
...a couple more pics

Attachments

• IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1034.JPG
    IMG_1034.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 63
Thought I share this, as I had been quite worried about replacing my ZipSeals with the Si-Tech QCS PU Ring, to use with Rolock 90 system gloves.

A while ago I started this thread drysuit cuff repair/replace but started this new one with a title easier to point to the issue.

After over a year of fretting the DIY approach, and worrying the QCS PU rings would not fit in my DUI sleeves once I removed the ZipSeals, I am happy to share that the fit is perfect ! So if anyone is thinking about doing the same, it is a definite go.

All I have left to do is find a proper glue. One bit I would like to fix, though not a "must have" is to find a way to remove some of the old DUI left over glue. It seems it will be a chore to remove, but really do not have to, as it will be within the new glue strip area. I tried softening it with a heat gun and try to peel off, but that did not work. Does anyone have any other ideas ? would sanding work ? any chemicals that might do the rick ?

Pics below. You can see that the ZipSeal was sewed to the cuff and then sealed with the glue. I will not be sewing the Si-Tech ring.
Try sanding with dremel tool and a sanding drum:

1690422657234.png

-Z

Awesome job... hardest part wlfor me was the 1st cut. After that it was easy.

+1 for what @Zef said about the dremel. Makes life easy, just be careful not to take it into the suit

Thanks both ! will try that. Yeah, cutting the first stitch was the hard part.

Spent a while reading SB for glue recommendations. I am in Canada, so no access to the Si-Tech glue, nor Bostik 777. Seems like the DRIS glue may be Bostik 2402 without the hardener ? STABOND UK-148 also looks good, and available from the US. Also STRONN PU heat activated glue looks like it could be good...

I use toluene to soften glue and just don't soften the suit too much
AZBOND is the last glue I used for PU and also included some heat

But with the rotary tool dremmel is far too expensive for my pocket

Spent a while reading SB for glue recommendations. I am in Canada, so no access to the Si-Tech glue, nor Bostik 777. Seems like the DRIS glue may be Bostik 2402 without the hardener ? STABOND UK-148 also looks good, and available from the US. Also STRONN PU heat activated glue looks like it could be good...
We have DAP Weldwood available at just about any hardware store. @Tracy recommends using something better but I can't remember off the top of my head. Was supposed to be more pliable even when cold, but maybe slightly harder to find locally.

I use SC 4000 Cement | REMABOND CEMENTS | REMA TIP TOP
SC4000 is a 2 part adhesive, I use it to replace drysuit zippers and cuffs.

Available in Canada by contacting

sdevlin@belterra.ca

Found it, he recommends Pilobond 25 in place of DAP;
As a note for next time. The DAP will hold the seals without issue, I have used it in a pinch before. It gets very stiff in cold temperatures. If you are winter diving and the surface temps are below freezing, the glued area will be stiff as a board. Next time, if you can find it, look for Pilobond 25. It goes on and functions the same, but it remains pliable at low temperatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom