drysuit cuff repair/replace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njaimo

Registered
Reaction score
I want to replace my Zip-Zeals with Si-Tech QCS PU rings to use Rolock glove system.

I noticed that my Zip-Seal cuffs are sewed onto the drysuit sleeves. If I take them off, will I need to sew on (besides gluing) the QCS PU rings ? Is this a DIY thing, or do I need to send my suit off to a professional with a sewing machine ?

I supposed I should ask first if the QCS PU ring will fit ok in the drysuit cuff/sleeve where the Zip-Seal used to be, or do I need to also modify the sleeves to accomodate a new opening ?

Has anyone tried this ?
Cheers

This has been done by a handful of folks that frequent the board. You do not need to see the QCS PU ring to the suit, it just needs to be glued in well.

The critical dimension is whether the diameter of your cuff opening is correct to accept the ring that will be glued in. Smaller is better than too large as the cuff can be opened/cut to accommodate but if it is too wide will be a more extensive modification to get adapt the suit to the rings.

-Z

I have attached the gluing guide from Si-Tech. Take a look at the info specific to the QCS oval rings.

Here is a video of the process on you tube:

Here is thread where a board member posted his experience gluing the PU rings into a neoprene suit…see post #49;

-Z

Attachments

• 210323_gluing-guide_pu-ring.pdf
    8.4 MB · Views: 146
Here is the stitched and taped factory cuff on my whites fusion

75 012aaa (1).JPG

The only description of this abomination, is unrepeatable!

Here is the cuff on my whites fusion after my first attempt

76 026a (1).JPG

Glued only, rolled on, description, magnificent!

Then comes the velcro for these particular suits

67 029 (2)a (1).JPG

Not factory hometory get the stuff and just do it

download.png

Swoosh

Since all needed info is here if you have the time and patience It’s not hard to glue in the PU rings but it’s a lot easier to have A pro do it so you can just enjoy diving :wink:

Reactions: Zef
I installed the rings on my suit. It takes longer to prep than anything. And then there's the anxiety caused by cutting a suit, but if I had to do it all over again, maybe 2 or 3 hours from start to finish (setup, clean, clean, clean, then gluing layers and cleanup).

Here's my thread. They have never leaked to this day, very happy to have gained the experience. At some point I'll be doing a zipper, actually kind of looking forward to the challenge.

With the right glue (I got mine from DRiS) if you make a mistake you just apply some heat and pull it back apart.

Good luck!! You can do it.

I installed the rings on my suit. It takes longer to prep than anything. And then there's the anxiety caused by cutting a suit, but if I had to do it all over again, maybe 2 or 3 hours from start to finish (setup, clean, clean, clean, then gluing layers and cleanup).

Here's my thread. They have never leaked to this day, very happy to have gained the experience. At some point I'll be doing a zipper, actually kind of looking forward to the challenge.

With the right glue (I got mine from DRiS) if you make a mistake you just apply some heat and pull it back apart.

Good luck!! You can do it.

That's the thread I was hoping to share above but the link didn't come up in my search.

Cheers,
-Z

MANY Thanks to all for the replies. So now I know stitching is optional, it seems maybe I can DIY. I assume the sewing is just to make it more secure ?...

I guess the main concern I have now is whether the sleeve opening will fit the PU rings -- I was hoping to hear form someone who actually went from DUI's Zip-Seals to the Sci-Tech QCS rings to know if there had been any cutting or opening mods needed to the sleeves. I suppose I can take a seamstress cloth tape measure and try to figure it out.

Thanks again!

Thank you "Zef" for the PDF and the YT video.

You can order the PU rings for fairly cheap and see what they look / feel like inside the cuff.

Back
Top Bottom