Repair SI Tech PU-ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comm

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have the SI Tech PU Ring systems fitted with the Antares oval. I noticed that I’m getting water into my right wrist behind the seal. I removed the oval and see that there are cracks on the pu-ring. I’m guessing that is the issue.

I’m going on a trip this week and so don’t have time to replace the entire pu-ring. Anyone have a recommended quick repair? Something that will hold up for 10 dives in 70F water. Can I fill it in with aqua seal?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 77
I have the SI Tech PU Ring systems fitted with the Antares oval. I noticed that I’m getting water into my right wrist behind the seal. I removed the oval and see that there are cracks on the pu-ring. I’m guessing that is the issue.

I’m going on a trip this week and so don’t have time to replace the entire pu-ring. Anyone have a recommended quick repair? Something that will hold up for 10 dives in 70F water. Can I fill it in with aqua seal?

Thanks!

The cracks are in the suit-side glued in ring, correct.

No experience, but for a quick fix, I'd consider:

Self-bonding silicone tape to seal against the existing pu-ring, then a tight over-wrap of good-quality (3M-Scotch or the like) electrical tape for support. (I have temporarily repaired a cracked house watermain that was inside, but before the shutoff with electrical tape.)
Pretty sure Home Depot carries both.

Filling the existing cracks with aquaseal may be better than the silicone tape with preventing ingres from the edge of the ring, but might also adhere to the installed wrist seals. Then a tight over-wrap with electrical tape.

If you have the time, maybe pull the seals and replace with wax-paper between the inner locking an PU rings. Then: Aquaseal (let cure), one wrap of silicone tape, electrical tape. Then reinstall the seals.

Hopefully someone who has dealt with the (or at least a similar) situation will come in.

Hi JD - really appreciate the thoughts. Yes, those cracks are on the inside edge of the glued in PU ring. I turned the sleeve inside out to take the picture. Interestingly, the other PU-ring on my left arm looks brand new.

Hadn’t thought about using electrical or silicon tape. I like the idea of filling in the cracks with aquaseal and then using the tape to keep it from sticking to the seal.

Thanks!

Not sure if you got this fixed but... Pull over gloves? unless the cracks go right through the plastic, should prevent any water flowing over the seals.

Bald Wookie - I tried something similar, where I wore my dry gloves for a dive. After the dive, my hands were completely dry, but my right arm and upper chest were completely soaked. That is what caused me to look at the PU-Ring itself and noticed that it was damaged

As an update:

I reached out to SI Tech and they were very responsive. They were a bit surprised with how they failed, so they didnt have any specific recommendations. They did make sure to tell me to avoid using any silicone glue ("should you get some silicone on the sleeve fabric it will be very hard to re-glue a PU ring. Silicone is very hard to clean off, and the new Pu ring will be tricky to re-glue").

For the week - I tried aquaseal on the cracks. I will say it had some benefit, as my arm was some version of 'less wet', but was by no means a great fix. I am not the craftiest person, so I may have created a new issue by putting aquaseal in the wrist ring. It is really hard to put an even amount on a curved surface (I had the suit inside-out when I did it). I am not sure I would recommend this as a fix.

I did try taping the inside of the PU-RING, but the fitment was too tight for the antares ovals and I couldnt get them in without rolling the replaceable silicon wrist seals. Perhaps someone better than me could do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom