Question What needle do I use to sew nylon webbing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skydiving riggers are another great resource for getting thick / stiff webbing sewn. Ask if they’re qualified to do harness work, there’s a distinction between ratings to be able to modify harnesses and those folks generally have the right machines and skills to make strong webbing stitching that won’t have issues with weight bearing, etc.

Lance

Check that the sewing machine can handle the thick of nylon webbing. If it is sturdy like the 2" webbing used for weightbelts or harness, many machines will get stuck. In that case, better hand sew ot with a sailmakers needle- or take it to a shoemaker repair shop and they have tough machines and experienced in sewing such stuff, and it ain't expensive.

Also, be sure not to use cotton thread, these will eventually decay.

Personally, I secure my cameras with chord tied to the dog clip instead of 1/2" webbing.
Nah it’s flimsy 1” floppy nylon. Might even be polyester.

After my wife banned me from using her fancy Bernina, I discovered that any cobbler will do this for you for a couple dollars. If you are doing this a lot, you can buy a basic cobbler machine for $125.

Back
Top Bottom