Sewing flat nylon webbing at home

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vam302

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just made a crotch strap for my bc (I know ALL you guys just use your hog harnesses, but I don't). Anyhow, I know nothing about sewing other just minor rent repair. I just used my hand-held rivet gun and a few 3mm rivets to hold it together. Seem like it will hold just fine for the rec diving that I intend to do with it.

My question is, do any of you actually sew your webbing? I'm talking like a real box stitch w/diagonal stitching inside. If so, how the h*ll did you do it? Thanks in advance.

I made my own crotch strap as well. I wanted to see if it worked before I bought one, it did but then couldnt see the point in buying one!!

I just used a normal sewing machine with some nylon thread. The woman in the store recommended a thicker needle, one that is used for sewing denim but I'm not sure that is entirely necessary if just going through 2 layers of webbing.

I just used a zig zag setting and went backwards and forwards a few times, didn't actually do a box like you're describing, works fine.

Just have a few practice runs before, you'll figure it out. I had no experience before I did mine.

Prob'ly not exactly the response you were looking for, just have a crack, you can only f*&k it up!!

When using a machine to sew webbing, try spraying the webbing with silicone spray to prevent the needle from binding.

I've done a box stitch on my ordinary singer sewing machine, making cam bands, but I had to help the motor along sometimes using the handwheel (which is present on most singers, and many other machines). The key is getting the tension set correctly. It has to be pretty tight or you get loops of extra thread on the bottom.

An industrial machine is much better for this as the motor is much stronger and the mechanics sturdier. An Upholstery machine would be ideal. I've heard that they will punch through the bones of your fingers if they get in the way.

D

Not at home but I would think most shoe repair shops could do it easily. Pop rivets would do but considering they are aluminum and likely a cheap grade at that, they will likely corrode pretty quickly in salt water. Brass rivets done by hand would likely be a better choice. I see nothing wrong with SS pan head screws, washers and nylon lock nuts as long as you can orient them so the nuts are away from any rub points. They would make it easy to modify the length if needed.

Check out the sewing awl. It's a great tool for quick stiching of heavy material.

I've used mine for a bunch of projects, but my first attempt was to make a
knife sheath out of weight belt webbing. Once you get the hand of it, it goes
pretty quickly. (It also pretty much paid for iteself -- I found a dive knife on
eBay that lists for $60 at my LDS for $5 with no sheath.)

My local craft store stocked them in their leatherworking supplies section, but
you might also find them at camping gear stores for canvas repairs. For thread,
you can use heavy button thread for most applications.

For the compulsive DIYer... I made some modifications to mine. Aside from cutting a spare
spool on my lathe to make thread changing easier, I also cut out a leather disc to make a
drag for the spool.

Wow, I knew it could be done at home. I think I'll try first w/ a heavy needle, the silicone spray, and a home sewing machine. I also think that I will wear a good pair of gloves, just in case...here goes nothing. Thanks again.

I have sewn some heavy stuff together making my own Tact gear because I did not like what Blackhawke and 5.11 were selling. I use sailmaker's needles and a sailors palm. I use 50# or 100# test fishing line for thread. I like how spiderwire threads and knots for sewing.

The sewing AWL would cetrainley work. I remember as a wee one my father sewing leather with one. In the 70's he made his own belts... those cheap Kmart belts were just not heavy enough to spank an Eric in line.

Back
Top Bottom