Found a great way to stitch the heaviest of nylon webbing for cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a variety of sewing and craft groups on facebook and other places full of vintage machine fans. Maybe even cosplay groups.

Just a warning... Do not confuse cosplay with furries. You will never get those images out of your head.

I sew a lot of weird stuff. I don’t have one of these machines, but have used something similar in a leather working class and it worked great. If I want to sew steel plates or something, I pull out my grandmothers Singer. Or my 70s era Singer.

The words heavy duty on a sewing machine, especially on a newer machine, mean nothing. (New Singers especially tend to be lame whatever they call them.) But there are regular sewing machines out there that will work. Vintage machines are usually way better at this sort of thing, and can often be had for cheap. Or sometimes used industrials, though those will probably cost more. Vintage stuff may need some cleaning and TLC, but usually easy stuff if you are mechanically inclined at all. Correct needles and thread are important.

There are a variety of sewing and craft groups on facebook and other places full of vintage machine fans. Maybe even cosplay groups. Usually you can get an answer to what machines are good to look for, or info on whether a particular machine you found will do what you need. (As with Scubaboard, also lots of answers to questions you didn’t ask from people who don’t read the original question, but thats the way it goes.)

This is great.

You can also sew more layers or less more easily, using a finer thread in the bobbin
of course with the appropriate needle
leather needles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom