Info DIY: Simple BCD Handle.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Today's DIY hack is ultra-simple. All you need is about 24-inches of webbing, and some Stainless Steel triglides. The basic idea is to create a handle for lifting, carrying, or hanging up your BCD.

Pictures probably will do a much better job explaining this DIY hack than a description.

0) Start with about 24 inches of webbing. I recommend 2-inch, because wider webbing will better distribute weight and "cut" into your hand less. From a "semi-pro DIY armature" (hah) perspective, the #1 mistake I've made is starting with too little material. You always need more material than you expect, and if you start too short, you'll often find the material going to waste, because you're an inch short.

1) You'll need a mounting point. There are two options

1a) You can use the upper shoulder straps on most harnesses. You'll need to get a triglide on each shoulder strap, and then run your handle webbing through that same shoulderstrap.

1b) If you have a metal backplate+wing, you may be able to use the slots on the top. Just run the webbing through the gap and secure using a triglide with the webbing running through it twice.

2) For the triglides, I usually prefer ones with teeth, and ensuring there are TWO layers of webbing running through each opening. Depending on the exact triglide you use and webbing thickness, this may not be entirely possible. Basically, the #1 goal is you don't want it coming undone. My BCD is lightweight, however if you have 20lbs and a tank, I'd strongly recommend using double-triglides on each end.

3) Optional D-ring. The main reason I added a d-ring on mine, is because I mostly intend to use the handle for hanging the BCD. My BCD is a sidemount harness, soft backplate, and only about 4lbs of weight, so it's not really needed for lifting my BCD. I typically hang my BCD using a double-ender or boltsnap on paracord, which clips into that d-ring.

4) Optional: Trim off excess webbing and defray the ends with a lighter (carefully, don't burn your BCD)

Just the handle

20221207_111629.jpg

Handle looped through triglides on my nylon backplate & no shoulder straps installed.
20221207_112015.jpg

Same as before, but with shoulder straps.

20221207_113018.jpg

---

If you want to do an even fancier and nicer one, you can mimic the following design. However, because I don't feel like spending money and going to the hardware store, I'll let people figure this one out for themselves.

Nice write-up. I need to do this

Nice description. I like the use of the contrasting color webbing.

You might want to add a semi-rigid handle by running the webbing through a short piece (4-6") of reinforced tubing (1/2" or 3/4" ID, probably), like https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-1-...einforced-PVC-Braided-Vinyl-Tubing/1000365045

For a heavier BCD, or carrying it with weights, that will be more comfortable to hold, and it gives people a really distinct spot to grab when lifting the BCD.

Nice description. I like the use of the contrasting color webbing.

You might want to add a semi-rigid handle by running the webbing through a short piece (4-6") of reinforced tubing (1/2" or 3/4" ID, probably), like https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-1-...einforced-PVC-Braided-Vinyl-Tubing/1000365045

For a heavier BCD, or carrying it with weights, that will be more comfortable to hold, and it gives people a really distinct spot to grab when lifting the BCD.
I believe I have some of that material laying around from a plumbing project. One could probably also slice up an old garden hose as well, which I think I also have.

In theory I'm thinking wider than your palm (or the palm of whoever picks up your gear) is about the right width. I might do that tomorrow, and post it up. I'll have to move the d-ring, but that's fine.

I believe I have some of that material laying around from a plumbing project. One could probably also slice up an old garden hose as well, which I think I also have.

In theory I'm thinking wider than your palm (or the palm of whoever picks up your gear) is about the right width. I might do that tomorrow, and post it up. I'll have to move the d-ring, but that's fine.
Go with 4 - 4.5 inches. Not many meat hooks out there that can span past that and have the webbing dig in. Great write up btw, thanks.

Nice work, it up!

Does that triglide and d-ring in the middle make it annoying to carry with a heavy tank?

A piece of rope run through a hollow rubber handle (like a bike grip, or the kind used for carrying kayaks) works well.

Does that triglide and d-ring in the middle make it annoying to carry with a heavy tank?

A piece of rope run through a hollow rubber handle (like a bike grip, or the kind used for carrying kayaks) works well.
It probably makes it annoying with a heavy rig. My rig is rather lightweight, because it's sidemount, where I'm not carrying it with tanks attached, and only have about 4lbs of lead. You'll probably want to go the handle route with no middle d-ring for a normal backmount setup.

The bike-grip idea is good too. There are probably plenty of "fitness" grips that would do the trick, essentially something relatively rigid and hollow with a padded handle.

It probably makes it annoying with a heavy rig. My rig is rather lightweight, because it's sidemount, where I'm not carrying it with tanks attached, and only have about 4lbs of lead. You'll probably want to go the handle route with no middle d-ring for a normal backmount setup.

The bike-grip idea is good too. There are probably plenty of "fitness" grips that would do the trick, essentially something relatively rigid and hollow with a padded handle.
Walmart has one for cheap. Can even get a 2 pack.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221213-051106_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20221213-051106_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 80
"Kayak Handles" seem like a perfect idea. You can even get different colors, like bright orange, which would be useful charter-crews that might be picking up your BCD. My thinking is some divers may wish to add a handle, because someone else will be lifting their BCD out of the water, due to health-issues. Also, that it might make the handle much easier to spot in splashing waves and all-black-gear.

On a semi-random note, I happen to see this. I wonder if those d-rings screws/holes would be the right size for holes on metal backplates. You could always drill out the hole a little bigger if needed. A Kayak handle may even be able to be mounted directly to some backplates, if they have holes at the top.

edit: You'd probably have to roll up or fold 2-inch webbing, but you could also always use 1-inch webbing. The main reason I went with 2-inch, is because there would be no handle.

Back
Top Bottom