Info DIY: Simple BCD Handle.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I forgot to post an update. I ordered some kayak handles, it was cheap (about $5).

I could have disassembled them and used just the rubbery piece, but I decided to mostly leave them intact, and use the screw-holes to thread paracord and just tie it to the BCD using the triglides. You should be able to easily do the same with a backplate, just reuse round-holes at the top, or the harness-strap holes.

To hang it, I used a quick-link and bolt-snap. It clips onto a piece of paracord-loop I have hanging from the ceiling.

20221222_070131.jpg

You'll have to keep us updated on the durability of that kayak handle.

I bought a BCD handle off Amazon and bolted it to my back plate. My rig has been haulled out of the water and onto a boat around 35-40 times by this handle now and the eyelets are pulling a little.

I'm still looking for a better solution.

20230119_100354.jpg

20230119_100443.jpg

I use that same handle on my rebreather and no issues so far.

A friend of mine uses a thick static rope with two stopper knots as a handle on his backplate. And it works great. Much better than any webbing or similar. Maybe try that if the eyelets are pulling.

You'll have to keep us updated on the durability of that kayak handle.

I bought a BCD handle off Amazon and bolted it to my back plate. My rig has been haulled out of the water and onto a boat around 35-40 times by this handle now and the eyelets are pulling a little.

I'm still looking for a better solution.

View attachment 765093

View attachment 765094
For the fraying on the end, use a lighter and melt the loose threads. If the eyelets pulls out, my suggestion would be to torch any loose threads in the hole, poke a 2nd hole above it, and torch there. Fold it in half with the holes lining up and attach it that way.

The Kayak handle I have should probably last years. Though I should also say my BCD doesn't way much at all, and won't be support the weight of any tanks.

The two handles look awfully similar in construction. The main differences I see between these kayak handles and the "BCD handle" is
  1. that eyelet vs plastic/polymer like material on the end
  2. the length of the nylon extending from the handles,
  3. cost - mine cost about $5 for 2 handles.
  4. What you have now will always look "prettier" given the DIY one would have to do something like my paracord hack to reach those holes on the backplate.
I'm fairly sure the plastic material on the end coupled with the nylon running through it would support the weight though, and not fray like that.

A friend of mine uses a thick static rope with two stopper knots as a handle on his backplate. And it works great. Much better than any webbing or similar. Maybe try that if the eyelets are pulling.
This should work well too.

....... If the eyelets pulls out, my suggestion would be to torch any loose threads in the hole, poke a 2nd hole above it, and torch there. Fold it in half with the holes lining up and attach it that way.

That thought was already on my mind. That handle is used to haul the entire rig (meaning the tank and 8lbs of lead) so it gets a hard life. It wont break hanging in my garage, it'll break being hauled onto the boat in big swells.

I have a big washer on the eyelet side, so it wont pull through, I just question whether the webbing will eventually give up below the eyelet.

I'll just keep monitoring it for now, unless I come across something better.

That would be a good strong solution. Ugly, but strong.

It may come to that yet.

That would be a good strong solution. Ugly, but strong.

It may come to that yet.
"Kayak Standup Strap" or a "Kayak Carry Strap" might also be an option. I don't know how much weight they're designed to hold (it probably depends on brand), but they're relatively inexpensive minimal-DIY solutions.

"Kayak Standup Strap" or a "Kayak Carry Strap" might also be an option. I don't know how much weight they're designed to hold (it probably depends on brand), but they're relatively inexpensive minimal-DIY solutions.
I have 12ft kayak with those handles on it. It gets man-handled on and off the roof of the car and they seem fine so far. I don't know the weight, but its not a one person lift. That's why I was wondering how durable they are in your application, but if you're only lifting the BC with it you won't be testing them to the degree I want info on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom