Seeking suggestions on trying to video record an SMB blowing up as it ascends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TBH, that is what I would expect. Unless you are willing to be right next to it, it won’t explode. As soon as serious injury from proximity is involved, it will be utterly harmless.

what would work really well would be a car inner tube….
Now there's an idea!
badidea.jpg

EDIT: I actually have an old tire tube I could use (I didn't fully trust it when I bought my divers platform off CL, so I got a new one). I just have to see how I can MacGyver the tire inflator from my air compressor to a LP hose.

Plastic 55gal food drum. Don't know if it will hold a 3 ATM pressure if you send it from 100'. At that volume it would be like a reverse depth charge.

Start small with a 5gal bucket with a sealed lid ...

If you can seal your package and then inflate it with a schrader-sealed (tire) valve, you can increase the equivalent starting depth.

Use a transfill setup (no regulator) and attach it to tire-fill fitting. The tire should blow in no time.

Use a transfill setup (no regulator) and attach it to tire-fill fitting. The tire should blow in no time.
If anyone is wondering, that is an extremely dangerous suggestion. Exploding tires can kill, blind and injure people. Not something to be played with like an smb.

Now there's an idea!
View attachment 754954
EDIT: I actually have an old tire tube I could use (I didn't fully trust it when I bought my divers platform off CL, so I got a new one). I just have to see how I can MacGyver the tire inflator from my air compressor to a LP hose.
They sell one that connects to a LP hose. Its nice to have for inflating lots of things.

If anyone is wondering, that is an extremely dangerous suggestion. Exploding tires can kill, blind and injure people. Not something to be played with like an smb.
100% but it sure will be some epic video for us all!

Back
Top Bottom