Seeking suggestions on trying to video record an SMB blowing up as it ascends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. I would like a continuous video source as the ideal solution. But that may not be practical.

I think it will just be a burb as a seam somewhere will fail resulting in a sudden exhale and then the SMB goes limp. But good teaching point for why one should not hold their breath if an ascent is possible.
If you want to have real fun take 2L jugs down fill with air and then cap off! 😉

If you want to have real fun take 2L jugs down fill with air and then cap off! 😉
You could even do that at shallow-depths, with dramatic results. Tie on a weight so it doesn't rocket to the surface too quickly, and somewhere not too deep so you can retrieve the weight and debris.

You could even do that at shallow-depths, with dramatic results. Tie on a weight so it doesn't rocket to the surface too quickly, and somewhere not too deep so you can retrieve the weight and debris.
Out of the 15 I have done none of them created any debris.

What about putting a 2L bottle full of air inside the SMB, if possible, before letting it go. That might create a little bit of action.

Alternatively If you had an old wing/bladder and then replace the over pressure valve with a fixed cap.

Suspend the GoPro 3’ below the SMB so that it faces straight up. Attach a spool to the bottom of the gopro. Tie a loop into the line below the gopro. Zip tie the loop to a mooring fill the SMB to near maximum capacity (50-75%, let it build up some speed). Cut the zip tie and wait for it to make the return trip to the bottom. You may want to compromise the relief valve for best effect.

Maybe use the suction cup go pro attachment to afix to something smooth. I've done shots from the boat hull but you might come out really tiny and the smb looking like a blood worm.

I have fully inflated a SMB and released it at depth. All they did was to fizz through all the pores in the coated fabric material.
TBH, that is what I would expect. Unless you are willing to be right next to it, it won’t explode. As soon as serious injury from proximity is involved, it will be utterly harmless.

what would work really well would be a car inner tube….

Just random spitballing but what about taking a PVC T and putting your float rope through that, maybe 2-3 ft out another T with a go pro mount, and then another 2-3 ft if PVC and someway of securing the DSMB?

TBH, that is what I would expect. Unless you are willing to be right next to it, it won’t explode. As soon as serious injury from proximity is involved, it will be utterly harmless.

what would work really well would be a car inner tube….
Go for broke simi truck tire 🤣

Go for broke simi truck tire 🤣

Check out this previous post of mine. Same concept....cheaper than buying an SMB to blow up..... and just as fun. Plus, you get to drink the wine!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom