Seeking suggestions on trying to video record an SMB blowing up as it ascends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There's been a bunch of talk about DSMBs lately and it got me thinking. We all know SMBs are worthless (hurry up and inflate before the boat runs you over). I figure for the sake of science that I should do a Boyle's law experiment. Get negative at depth (say 30 meters), fully inflate the SMB (attached to a spool), and then let go. I have two SMBs from before I knew better, and this is the best use of them that I can think of.

I'm seeking recommendations on how to film this with my GoPro. I'll probably DIY some sort of harness/rig and test it with regular DSMBs. It needs to hang on long enough to capture the rupture of the SMB.

And yes, back in the day, I did enjoy blowing up stuff with M80s, cherry bombs, and M250s (M1000s were out of my budget as a kid).

Probably your best bet is someone recording from shallower depth.
TBH, have no idea how much pressure SMB can take anyway.

Probably your best bet is someone recording from shallower depth.
I will try that as well, but we don't have the best viz here.
TBH, have no idea how much pressure SMB can take anyway.
And that's precisely why I will advance science! I don't plan on publishing any papers though, nor going on speaking tours. :wink:

Guessing you have to decide to film from the top or from the bottom viewpoint of the SMB.
Since smaller bubbles rise slower than that big bubble inside the SMB,,,,,,if you hang a gopro from below it may be clouded by nothing but a small mass of trailing fizzy bubbles. Now if you could figure a way to attach it with very flexible bungies at the top of an SMB and looking down, you make get a great one sided view. Now to get your camera back after it sinks from the SMB failure, maybe a spool line attached so you can pull it back to you?

Guessing you have to decide to film from the top or from the bottom viewpoint of the SMB.
Since smaller bubbles rise slower than that big bubble inside the SMB,,,,,,if you hang a gopro from below it may be clouded by nothing but a small mass of trailing fizzy bubbles. Now if you could figure a way to attach it with very flexible bungies at the top of an SMB and looking down, you make get a great one sided view. Now to get your camera back after it sinks from the SMB failure, maybe a spool line attached so you can pull it back to you?
I could have it attached to a larger lift bag perhaps? I may have to attach to an anchor as I can be only so negative.

This would all be attached to some line on a spool.

I wonder if Bill Nye would be interested. He did get his start in Seattle on Almost Live.

Multiple divers recording and perhaps somebody on the surface would be my recommendation. The difficulty will be finding multiple divers with cameras willing to do such a thing in November/December in Seattle.

Multiple divers recording and perhaps somebody on the surface would be my recommendation.
One possibility
The difficulty will be finding multiple divers with cameras willing to do such a thing in November/December in Seattle.
We dive year round. Not a problem at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom