What does it take to get you to carry (& use) an SMB & spool on every ocean dive?

Do YOU carry an SMB on every dive?

• What is it?

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I have one, don't know how to it.

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Too much stuff to carry/remember every dive

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • The DiveMaster will deal with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES! MY Safety is MY responsiblity

Votes: 160 82.9%
  • YES AND I carry a Nautilus Lifeline or other EPRIB/Radio!

Votes: 21 10.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seconded on that question - I've considered bringing a few flares.

I have an SMB, finger spool & nautilus with me on every dive now. Will be adding a couple of glow sticks.

In a proper emergency how do folks keep their SMBs upright? Is that an issue? I have a bungee that I could use to hang weight on the base but I hadn't considered if it was necessary until recently.
My SMB has weights at the base to keep it upright. Also as long as Im "just doing a safety stop" I just make myself a little negative and Ill "hang from it" :)

I carry a DSMB and spool every dive - but all my dives are salt water. I get to practice it a lot, almost every dive locally from a boat due to the current.
Interestingly on the live-aboard I just did, they required you to deploy an SMB before surfacing due to the boat traffic. They also had Nautilus for rent for $1 a day

Yes, My safety is My responsibility.

Actually I lied. Although I believe My safety is My responsibility, I take my SMB on every dive that warrants that particular tool. My dive knife is the only safety gear I have on every dive, SCUBA or free diving, unless you consider a snorkel safety gear.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Always carry one with 30M of line on a finger spool, occasionally deploy it if the situation warrants it.

What does it take? Water.

I will caveat this by saying I don't always carry my SMB in the local quarry. reading SB and doing a handful of drift dives off Jupiter have convinced me to always have my SMB anywhere else, though.

I carry it about 90% of the time. Sometimes if I'm in a lake I'll leave it, but I do occasionally use it as a lift bag. I won't step off a boat without one, and insist that buddies at least have a safety sausage (I usually pack a spare). Mine is usually tucked below my tank so it's out of the way, but there when/if I need it.

I, not infrequently, deploy my SMB for pickup on my dives in Jupiter. This is an invaluable skill that should be included in the armamentarium of all divers in an environment where it might be required. I would argue that this includes anyone doing drift dives in S FL.

Good diving, Craig

always have one and a spool, the SMB is rolled up and secured alongside my wing so it causes no drag and is always with me .. have only deployed it in the gulf on drift dives but it's one more essential piece of safety equipment in my "tool box"

Always carry one, sometimes two... Reels jam with monotonous regularity!

As a UK instructor I teach the skill and get students to practice it.

If every diver carries one, then every buddy pair has a spare, but if you get separated from your buddy you still have one.

for those of you blessed with warm blue waters to dive in, please come and experience the joys of UK diving, cold.. Green.. And 3-4m is considered good viz :wink:

For normal recreational diving, I find there is near zero need to deploy from depth. So a reel and a spool are unnecessary gear that adds unneeded complications to the process. I skip the reel and have no need for a spool of line.

I wrap 20 -25 ft of line around the SMB, attach a metal clip to the end, use elastic bands to secure the entire thing into a cylindrical bundle. The clip is used to attach the smb to my D-Ring AND it is a ballast to make sure the line plays out and does not tangle or present a hazard. This allows me to deploy at 25 ft which is normally deep enough.

This video (which I shot of myself while holding the camera in one hand sorta shows it).. skip to 8:28.. simple and easy. Why carry uneeded gear?

[video=youtube_share;uZJ0byuTVqU]http://youtu.be/uZJ0byuTVqU[/video]

I always carry an SMB. However, if there is a very low risk of boat contact, I will leave the real behind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom