What does it take to get you to carry (& use) an SMB & spool on every ocean dive?

Do YOU carry an SMB on every dive?

• What is it?

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I have one, don't know how to it.

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Too much stuff to carry/remember every dive

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • The DiveMaster will deal with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES! MY Safety is MY responsiblity

Votes: 160 82.9%
  • YES AND I carry a Nautilus Lifeline or other EPRIB/Radio!

Votes: 21 10.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I also carry that I forgot - if there is any chance of getting "lost" and at night I carry a flare gun and 3-4 flares in my BC pocket. Light & small and no question - they WILL see me.

Are you allowed to carry that in check-in luggage on international flights?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Are you allowed to carry that in check-in luggage on international flights?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Seconded on that question - I've considered bringing a few flares.

I have an SMB, finger spool & nautilus with me on every dive now. Will be adding a couple of glow sticks.

In a proper emergency how do folks keep their SMBs upright? Is that an issue? I have a bungee that I could use to hang weight on the base but I hadn't considered if it was necessary until recently.

I carry my beacon only if I'm drift diving from a boat

Seconded on that question - I've considered bringing a few flares.

I have an SMB, finger spool & nautilus with me on every dive now. Will be adding a couple of glow sticks.

In a proper emergency how do folks keep their SMBs upright? Is that an issue? I have a bungee that I could use to hang weight on the base but I hadn't considered if it was necessary until recently.

I have a closed DSMB with a opv. Air only escapes when I say it can, its even inflated and hanging in my living room right now lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

It is impossible to post a poll with all the options people would like to have on the topic. This one doesn't give me the one appropriate for me but is certainly stimulating worthwhile discussion.

My normal buddy always has a cheapo little SMB in his BCD pocket. We both always carry them on Boat Dives, drift dives and dives where there is and increased chance they may be needed. Like DrBill diving around home is shore diving in relatively shallow (less than 18M or 60') water. Boat traffic is minimal or restricted, free water ascents from depth or away from shore are incredibly unlikely.

We are more likely to get tangled in fishing line at our sites which means we like to be more streamlined and have less stuff hanging on us. I do need to practice deployment again but our sites are shallow enough that deploying and dragging our very large (6' and 9') vizability devices is pretty impractical. If we deploy we want our SMB's to be vizable from as far away and as high seas as possible so they are LARGE and have reflective patches as well.

We do always carry Whistles, strobe torches, cutting devices and visual signaling devices.

Don't own a Nautilus Lifeline... maybe it will come into the picture...

i have recently acquired a smb and learned to deploy it and will be carrying it on EVERY dive... doesnt matter the conditions

Don't own a Nautilus Lifeline... maybe it will come into the picture...

i have recently acquired a smb and learned to deploy it and will be carrying it on EVERY dive... doesnt matter the conditions

Even if you don't shoot it while underwater, a giant inflatable marker is extremely useful on the surface if you need to "be found"

flots

Even if you don't shoot it while underwater, a giant inflatable marker is extremely useful on the surface if you need to "be found"

flots

agreed...

i'm even considering carrying around the smaller version we got in our advanced diving crew pack... for when i need to deploy at the surface and the 6 footer isn't necessary

Always carry one, sometimes two... Reels jam with monotonous regularity!

As a UK instructor I teach the skill and get students to practice it.

If every diver carries one, then every buddy pair has a spare, but if you get separated from your buddy you still have one.

for those of you blessed with warm blue waters to dive in, please come and experience the joys of UK diving, cold.. Green.. And 3-4m is considered good viz :wink:

I always carry one and do know how to deploy it (altho the first time it was rather ugly :confused:!!). We do mainly drift dives and it's crucial to have an SMB so the boat can find us. Even in Cozumel, where you're suppose to stay with the DM, hubby and I both carry SMBs and have a Nautilus Lifeline, horn, mirror, etc. We don't usually stay with the DM.:no:

Back
Top Bottom