What does it take to get you to carry (& use) an SMB & spool on every ocean dive?

Do YOU carry an SMB on every dive?

• What is it?

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I have one, don't know how to it.

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Too much stuff to carry/remember every dive

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • The DiveMaster will deal with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES! MY Safety is MY responsiblity

Votes: 160 82.9%
  • YES AND I carry a Nautilus Lifeline or other EPRIB/Radio!

Votes: 21 10.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an SMB and spool in my pocket all the time along with a few other things but they stay in there so they are with me on every dive. For dives that there is not an obvious reason i still carry one and practice using it.

Carry it, one per person! and can use it -- on the surface.

What would it take for boats to offer SMBs to each diver? I was on a recent dive where divers got stranded by the boat. Recovered OK, but they forgot their sausage that day.
- Bill

You're missng a fair number of reasonable/obvious answers in your poll, and have several ridiculously leading/accusatory ones, so I'm not sure what you're actually looking to demonstrate with your poll results. ...//...

RJP, with all due respect, you have a NE Atlantic bias. (Don't we all???) Ease up on mselanaous. I'm thinking about diving your boat again. (Grudges die hard on the Atlantic.) You won't catch me dead on the OS2, but I'm coming around on the GB...

Same thing happened in Cabo last year on the mount. One of them blew off the site in the current and the rest of them took off after him. Not me. I'm going to the boat and point out the direction they went. So the guy in the boat was half asleep and did not see them, No one came to the boat to tell what happened, he left and went for help... Opps, it was dark by then and NO ONE HAS A LIGHT. They actually stayed together and swam the 12 miles to shore...No me! I always carry reel, SMB, Strobe, 2 lights, 2 cutters, dive alert and mirror. it will all fit in a side pocket. I am NOT going to depend on someone else taking care of me.

RJP, with all due respect, you have a NE Atlantic bias. (Don't we all???) Ease up on mselanaous. I'm thinking about diving your boat again. (Grudges die hard on the Atlantic.) You won't catch me dead on the OS2, but I'm coming around on the GB...

We do provide SMB's to any diver who doesn't bring their own.

:d

---------- Post added August 17th, 2013 at 06:14 AM ----------

What would it take for boats to offer SMBs to each diver?
- Bill

We do provide SMB's to any diver who doesn't bring their own.

:d

I have an smb and reel on every dive I do. I deploy them as conditions warrant. We also provide SMBs to any diver that comes aboard without one. We have about 6 loaners that stay on the boat.

Lowviz it would be great to see you diving off the coast again. Of course it its on Gypsy I probably wont see you ;-)

Carry it, one per person! and can use it -- on the surface.

What would it take for boats to offer SMBs to each diver? I was on a recent dive where divers got stranded by the boat. Recovered OK, but they forgot their sausage that day.
- Bill

In some places they do. On my Maldives trip, the boat insisted every diver carry an SMB. If you didn't have one, they provided it.

By comparison, when I was in Cozumel I insisted on carrying one. The boat crew didn't want me to ... insisting that only the DM needed one. On a dive where the DM decided to head off with just one of our group ... leaving the rest of us to trail behind as best we could ... I decided to deploy my own SMB to surface. The boat driver seemed a bit miffed.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It was kind of funny during the 2 Scubaboard Invasions to Cozumel, almost everyone carried an SMB and most buddy pairs deployed one from depth. Apparently that's not the norm in Cozumel, which would explain why there are so many " oh $hit" moments we hear about. After the first day the crews realized SBers are not your average vacation diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom