What does it take to get you to carry (& use) an SMB & spool on every ocean dive?

Do YOU carry an SMB on every dive?

• What is it?

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I have one, don't know how to it.

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Too much stuff to carry/remember every dive

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • The DiveMaster will deal with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES! MY Safety is MY responsiblity

Votes: 160 82.9%
  • YES AND I carry a Nautilus Lifeline or other EPRIB/Radio!

Votes: 21 10.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I take one on every boat dive, which was not a poll option, but the vast majority of my dives are shore dives.

Carry SMB, mirror and whistle on every dive (even in a quarry just because it's part of my kit.) Have never needed to deploy DSMB on a reel, but would like to learn/practice. Current SMB is designed for surface use, not inflater filled.

Once I learned how to use mine (and I'm not great at it, but I am working on it), I carry it on every dive. That and a backup mask, whistle, and wetnotes. I got the dive right pocket shorts so I'd have somewhere to put all of this stuff, and always keep everything in the same pocket so I can pull them out without thinking where they are. You never plan for an emergency so I just always do it so that it's automatic to put it on before a dive, for that one fate-ful day.

I'm with Bob and Malpaso. I carry one on EVERY boat dive, and on shore dives where current could be an issue and I might end up somewhere I didn't intend to be.

I carry them always, I only deploy if the situation warrants it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

I have 2 (well 3 but one is for courses). Both come on every dive. And either my buddy or I deploy it (they also have 2)

Simple, I don't want to be a statistic. Every dive my SMB and spool go with me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Better to have with you all the time and never use/need it than not have it the time you need it.

I ticked that I have two on every dive.

Maybe that's a stretch, I don't take a SMB into caves. Otherwise I have both with me for every dive.

After reading the article below, WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET YOU TO CARRY & USE AN SMB (surface marker buoy aka safety sausage) AND SPOOL ON EVERY OCEAN DIVE?

I always carry two: a little weenie 4' model I can blow up by mouth and wave at the boat, and a 9' 75Lb monster from Carter that's a pain in the ass to deploy, but can be seen for miles.

I started carrying them after surfacing on two different drift dives and finding no boat. The little one goes in a pocket along with an air horn and some other stuff and the big one is rolled up and clipped of next to the tank.

flots.

Back
Top Bottom