What does it take to get you to carry (& use) an SMB & spool on every ocean dive?

Do YOU carry an SMB on every dive?

• What is it?

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I have one, don't know how to it.

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Too much stuff to carry/remember every dive

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • The DiveMaster will deal with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES! MY Safety is MY responsiblity

Votes: 160 82.9%
  • YES AND I carry a Nautilus Lifeline or other EPRIB/Radio!

Votes: 21 10.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why carry uneeded gear?

I have yet to ever need an octo but I dive one every dive because I can easily understand the need for one and the cost is now simply part of diving.

I haven't ever needed to manually inflate my BCD but after reading multiple reports of OOA divers sinking from exhaustion after making it to the surface I always manually inflate. It's historically an unneeded process that costs me nothing now that I've incorporated it into how I dive, but I think it's a good habit that could save me someday.

In my case the cost of carrying an SMB and finger spool has been reduced to nearly zero while the benefit to having them when I really need them is significant.

I have yet to ever need an octo but I dive one every dive because I can easily understand the need for one and the cost is now simply part of diving.

I haven't ever needed to manually inflate my BCD but after reading multiple reports of OOA divers sinking from exhaustion after making it to the surface I always manually inflate. It's historically an unneeded process that costs me nothing now that I've incorporated it into how I dive, but I think it's a good habit that could save me someday.

In my case the cost of carrying an SMB and finger spool has been reduced to nearly zero while the benefit to having them when I really need them is significant.

What depth do you plan on deploying the smb from?

I HAVE needed to donate my octo due to a blown first stage o-ring. I have not seen a situation where its been needed to shoot a smb from more than 20 feet though. That said I do still carry the spool rather than just the weighed line, but its small enough to go together with the smb in the pouch anyways..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

I HAVE needed to donate my octo due to a blown first stage o-ring. I have not seen a situation where its been needed to shoot a smb from more than 20 feet though. That said I do still carry the spool rather than just the weighed line, but its small enough to go together with the smb in the pouch anyways..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

I often carry a reel and an SMB (where it is needed) AND a smb with a weighted line (for back up). I just don't need a spool for my type of diving, some people may really need to deploy an SMB from deep.. then they need a reel or spool, but I think most recreational people will be wells served with deployment from 20 ft. My pouch is all filled up with a marine radio..

The ones I see beeing in NEED of being able to shoot from deeper would be tech divers with deco obligations and in that case a different colored SMB with a slate so they can tell support divers to get down there with more gas or stuff like that..

What depth do you plan on deploying the smb from?

I only plan on deploying it from ~20 feet although I could imagine circumstances (rare, unusual) where I might want to shoot it from lower. Having less line on a small finger spool doesn't seem like a significant issue though, does it?

I only plan on deploying it from ~20 feet although I could imagine circumstances (rare, unusual) where I might want to shoot it from lower. Having less line on a small finger spool doesn't seem like a significant issue though, does it?

You will want to carry extra line on the spool if you want the option to deploy deeper, my whole point is that a spool is not needed if you shoot from 20 feet. Not a big deal if you want to carry a spool, but I personally, have enough crap to manage when diving without one.

I often carry a reel and an SMB (where it is needed) AND a smb with a weighted line (for back up). I just don't need a spool for my type of diving, some people may really need to deploy an SMB from deep.. then they need a reel or spool, but I think most recreational people will be wells served with deployment from 20 ft. My pouch is all filled up with a marine radio..

Even on rec dives I sometimes shoot it as soon as we start to ascend. Around here there can be lots of current, and often there is no mooring line so I want the boat keeping an eye on me from the moment I leave the bottom. No point shooting it from 20ft if you've already drifted out of sight of the boat.

We generally don't drift dive or dive where the current is strong. I'd carry and use one in those conditions or if there are lots of boats around.

You will want to carry extra line on the spool if you want the option to deploy deeper, my whole point is that a spool is not needed if you shoot from 20 feet. Not a big deal if you want to carry a spool, but I personally, have enough crap to manage when diving without one.

i see no issue with that logic (not carrying unnecessary gear).. the only thing is that's 25' of line dangling in the water.. but i guess thats not an issue when you don't have other divers to worry about that might be below you...

i will always need to carry a spool as most of what we do is drift diving, separation from the DM/Guide mandates that we either shoot a bag and continue or surface after 1 minute

Back
Top Bottom