Trying to re-re-schedule a trip - and it's challenging...!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd buy trip insurance during hurricane season, but I don't most of the time for Cozumel trips. The cost of the trip isn't high enough. But when I went to Galapagos- trip insurance for sure.
If you book your hotel with cancellation options, the plane ticket cancellation fees are up to $250 now - assuming you can use the remainder within a year, but there are free changes during hurricanes. Extra nights, delayed or lost luggage, etc., most risks are rare and/or you can get relief from your homeowners, etc. It's all a matter of opinion and risk assumption, I know - just don't whine when you lose.

I take it mainly for the medical coverage as mine doesn't cover international needs, and the rest is gravy. In my younger years, I traveled all over the Caribbean with no coverage at all, had few problems, and never had to beg for help. Pick & chose...

(Now dive insurance- you'd be a fool not to have it. But for most people the expected value of the pay-out is less than the cost of carrying it. Insurance wouldn't be offered if that wasn't true.)
Again, the risk is really small. There's a hundred bucks a year for something I'll probably never use - but I take it. It is nice that most dive insurance plans will provide emergency medical evacuation even for non-diving problems.

Yeah, it's cheaper overall to self insure, not buy - for your house and cars as well.
Um, no. The cost of missing a vacation is limited to what you have paid for it and the incidentals aren't killer expenses. The cost of a car accident or a house fire can be far more than the sum of your premiums, and if someone is hurt or killed, fuhgeddaboudit.

Um, no. The cost of missing a vacation is limited to what you have paid for it and the incidentals aren't killer expenses. The cost of a car accident or a house fire can be far more than the sum of your premiums, and if someone is hurt or killed, fuhgeddaboudit.
That's not all that trip insurance covers. The one I buy has $100,000 medical, $1,000,000 emergency medical evacuation and return of remains, $25,000 non-medical emergency evacuation, and several more benefits. If your medical coverage include international coverage (again, the main reason I buy), and all of your family is on your DAN dive insurance which provides for some non-diving evacuation benefits - then you may well not find the additional benefits appealing. As I mentioned above, if you book your hotel & diving with cancellation options, then you have little risk other than plane ticket penalties for cancelling. It can be different if you'd bought a vacation package or liveaboard, or needed medical coverage, etc.

We have several vehicles we only cover for liability, not actual losses, and several buildings not covered. I am probably dropping insurance on one house next time. It's this vs that...

Back
Top Bottom