Seeking suggestions on trying to video record an SMB blowing up as it ascends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After it pops, you can test your ears... or drop it and then swim down and recover the lead and ruined smb.
I'll take other ideas, but thanks!

My guess is that it going to be plain anti-climatic as the fabric is just going to rip at the seams and let go in a cloud of bubbles. It’s not a glass bulb after all…
That said you will need to shoot at 120fps meaning lot of lighting…

My guess is that it going to be plain anti-climatic as the fabric is just going to rip at the seams and let go in a cloud of bubbles. It’s not a glass bulb after all…
That said you will need to shoot at 120fps meaning lot of lighting…
yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I was hoping that it would shoot up fast enough to that when the seams start to fail that it would continue to shoot up and break apart. I'll try it with one of the two DSMBs and see. But as a few people have said, the seams just fail, and air escapes with just stream of bubbles.

I mean, I wasn't expecting this:

But I was hoping for something at least a little interesting. Sounds like that isn't going to happen.

yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I was hoping that it would shoot up fast enough to that when the seams start to fail that it would continue to shoot up and break apart. I'll try it with one of the two DSMBs and see. But as a few people have said, the seams just fail, and air escapes with just stream of bubbles.

I mean, I wasn't expecting this:

But I was hoping for something at least a little interesting. Sounds like that isn't going to happen.
I launched a full (of air) trash can from 80' once. That was pretty impressive to watch.

I launched a full (of air) trash can from 80' once. That was pretty impressive to watch.
How did you hold that down while filling it? I'm guessing you tied a knot?

How did you hold that down while filling it? I'm guessing you tied a knot?
Square can, 2 8-10 foot lengths of 550 cord. Make an X over the bottom of the can and tie the 4 ends together near the opening. When inverted it forms something like a parachute. Then it was just a matter of using another piece of 550 cord to tie off the can to something really heavy. Add a little air, adjust cords, and fill to maximum capacity.

I have video somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment :(

He used 4 freshly certified divers that learned everything on their knees 🙈 🙉 🙊
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm soooo glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that, though it would have helped clear out my sinuses! :wink:

Square can, 2 8-10 foot lengths of 550 cord. Make an X over the bottom of the can and tie the 4 ends together near the opening. When inverted it forms something like a parachute. Then it was just a matter of using another piece of 550 cord to tie off the can to something really heavy. Add a little air, adjust cords, and fill to maximum capacity.

I have video somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment :(
Now that is clever.

You would have come in handy with the ways people floated out anchors for their mooring lines on the Hood Canal. People came up with some crazy ideas that still make some of us laugh.

oh man, that is disappointing. That just kills my idea.
Do it with a balloon, it will go pop :)

Now I want to see it 😂

Do it with a helium balloon, it will go pop
I'm too cheap. I'm half Dutch from a particularly conservative part of Holland.

Back
Top Bottom