Secondary reg bungee'd around neck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is exactly the problem with whoji's set up. His bungie could easily choke him.

Or provide for a "break-away" mouthpiece if you pulled on it too hard.

Purging the reg for them, once it's in their mouth, would clear their mouth of water, allowing them to take a breath without inhaling water.

I was taught to essentially stuff a purging (bubbling) regulator into the OOA diver mouth. In practice and in diving with divers otherwise trained holding the regulator by the end of the hose so the OOA diver can grasp the body, engage the mouthpiece and time the purge seems more universal and effective. This assumes that the donor is involved with deploying the alternate in the first place. This also assumes that the OOA dive is behaving rationally.

Pete

Or provide for a "break-away" mouthpiece if you pulled on it too hard.

Whos going to pull on it hard??

Originally Posted by Walter
This is exactly the problem with whoji's set up. His bungie could easily choke him.

How will it choke me - what will it get caught on.

Who's going to pull on it hard??

Could get caught on something

How will it choke me - what will it get caught on?

Doesn't matter what it could get caught on, there's a better way to connect it that obviates the need to even ask the question.

Manta has a blue necklace that is long enough to stay out of the way and will break free, I gave one to a fellow diver he loves it. the black ones manta has are useable if you like a necklace to hold in primary for jaw fatigue, my theory on the black ones.

The Manta necklaces work fine if the mouthpiece port on your regulator is big enough to maintain some tension in the material. The SPS600 is not.

I don't like any system that zip ties the necklace to the secondary reg. Mine is in a thin bungie setup similar to the Manta shape. I have not yet had it come out of the necklace, except once when it caught on something, and then I was glad it did. And if it does come out, it's pretty trivial to reach back to my neck and trace the hose to the regulator if I need it. But it hasn't happened.

And if it does come out, it's pretty trivial to reach back to my neck and trace the hose to the regulator if I need it. But it hasn't happened.
Exactly ... so I'd argue that the best emergency procedure to use (drill, practice) would be to surrender the primary and automatically reach back, trace the hose and put the secondary in you mouth. When it hits the fan you fall back onto what you drilled and if that procedure fails when really need it, then even if your "backup" solution would have been trivial prior to the failure, you are now in deep do-do.

That is exactly why we do not teach an arm sweep recovery of a primary, always reach back and trace. When I dive with a "standard" auxiliary I secure it, but that's for streamlining and such ... when I go to recover it: reach back and trace, even if it is still secured.

I really can't see the bungee on my neck choking me. It would have to catch on something half an inch from my neck. All my dives on AGA and surface supply are done with a short hose 2d stage around my neck (for me, as part of a true multiple redundant system, these are solo dives), normally on low to zero viz. Many things have caught and entanged many peices of me and my gear, the necklace has never been one of them.
I also don't see the reach back and trace to the end method as being optimal. If I know my reg is around my neck I can just get it, and a lot faster than reaching behind my head with my inflexible multiple surgery shoulders and groping for the 1st stage. I can feel the weight and drag of the reg on my neck, I know when its not there and I stop, find it, and replace it. That non emergency situation is when I reach and trace. I also feel if it free flows, where I might not if its clipped off somehwere else.

HALCYON WEBSITE:
Regulator Necklace

Simple attachment necklace for your reserve second stage. Thin enough to fit under your mouthpiece zip-tie, strong enough to last several dive seasons. We like to think of it as another example of DIR's zen elegance when compared to other contraptions used to secure your back-up regulator.

Good enough for them - Good enough for me!!!

My instructor (GUE Tech 1) sent only one zip tie along with the bungees. I thought he had made a mistake. However, this was his reply when I queried this:
"I do always have lots of zip ties, but I only use one. There is one zip tie holding the mouthpiece on, and then you put one zip tie on to hold the bungee. With this setup, the bungee might get pulled off if pulled and the zip tie slides off.
The other way (one zip tie to hold both mouthpiece and bungee) is more secure, but if the bungee is pulled excessively, there is a risk that the mouthpiece could pull off with the zip tie, not a great outcome..."

Back
Top Bottom