Secondary reg bungee'd around neck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks whoji,

But, it didn't really. Are you using two zip ties?

Purging a regulator into someone's mouth is likely to cause more problems than it solves - especially if they are near panic. In my humble opinion the best course of action is to hand the regulator to the OOA diver with your hand clear of the purge button. We do this with the long hose setup by grasping the regulator hose at the connection to the second stage when donating. If mugged my hands are out of the way naturally.

Age - The bungee goes underneath the zip tie that secures the mouth piece, then the its secured together by another 2 zip ties.

Thanks

Age - The bungee goes underneath the zip tie that secures the mouth piece, then the its secured together by another 2 zip ties.

Thanks

Then I need to buy some more zip ties. Thanks for your help.
I'm curious; are your fellow UK divers using long hoses configuration as standard? As DIR and GUE are US agencies, I'm kind of surprised.

Not really standard, just what feels comfortable and safe.
You find this kind of setup in the UK with divers who are Tec divers or use twins for recreational dives.

Try it, once in mouth the water will exhaust. you could hit the purge if you have it in your hand and give it to them, as a underwater signal to the diver, or mirror to them by hitting your purge so they remember.

Bubba you have a point, that when a diver that I gave my primary to, took in water at 100' down, I hit the purge to clear the reg and held so he did not cough it out.

Purging a regulator into someone's mouth is likely to cause more problems than it solves - especially if they are near panic. In my humble opinion the best course of action is to hand the regulator to the OOA diver with your hand clear of the purge button. We do this with the long hose setup by grasping the regulator hose at the connection to the second stage when donating. If mugged my hands are out of the way naturally.

What problems will it cause??? The only thing it is going to do is displace the water in their mouth. I'm not saying continue to purge, just the initial breath. Try it the next time you dive. Take the reg out of your mouth, blow out all your air, allow water into your mouth to simulate someone who has pulled a dead reg from their mouth & take a breath. With water in your mouth it is tough to get a breath. Purging the reg solves the problem. As I said before, you can get around this by taking a small breath. You'll get some water with the breath but it's doable. Blow the small breath out to displace the water from your mouth. In an OOA situation, looking at someone with really big eyes, it will just be easier to purge the reg.

Try it, once in mouth the water will exhaust. you could hit the purge if you have it in your hand and give it to them, as a underwater signal to the diver, or mirror to them by hitting your purge so they remember.

Bubba you have a point, that when a diver that I gave my primary to, took in water at 100' down, I hit the purge to clear the reg and held so he did not cough it out.

Never happened to me, sucking water in at 100', hope it never does. Good point about holding the reg in their mouth. The natural reflex is going to be coughing to expel the water. Probably not a good thing to have the reg pop out. :11:

Very stupid assumption. My flag and float (and me) almost got run over 2 weekends ago by a 50 ft boat under flat calm conditions. Hell my buddy was IN a 24 ft boat (getting ready to dive) and still got RUN OVER by another boat while at anchor with a dive flag up.

I don’t think it is necessary to label my assumption as stupid! We don’t get far on this board with personal attacks.

If you are diving in an area that you have to dodge 50’ boats then maybe you should rethink the area you are diving. If you are diving from boat and out of a channel, it is pretty remote that another boat will run into your boat. If you go up and down the anchor line and stay close to your boat that should be ample protection from other boats.

Of course there is a chance that a captain of another boat might be under the influence but these are remote possibilities.

I assume your buddy has passed away or in critical condition and I am sorry for that. I can’t imagine anyone surviving being run over by another boat. Can you please post the news article so we can read the circumstances of him being hit. For example, was the captain under the influence, was there a black out and etc…

Hi, I have included this picture of how my Secondary Reg is attached to a bungee

Hop this helps

View attachment 43440

You may want to rethink your method of attaching your bungie to your reg. Dkatchalov has posted a link to a safer method of attaching the bungie.

Back
Top Bottom