Secondary reg bungee'd around neck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HERE are some pretty good photographs.

Actually, those photos do not show someone how to actually attach the bungie to the regulator. I've seen folks screw up the attachment through ignorance and come up with some dangerous methods.

When an OOA diver approaches you, you should purge your reg as they come in because they may not have enough air to blow the water out of their mouth. Purging will blow the water out of their mouth, allowing them to breathe easy.
I’m not going to assume an OOA diver is always going to approach in field of view. Of the three OOA situations I’ve witnessed only once did the OOA diver approach in the donors field of view. The two other times the donor was unaware until the OOA diver yanked the octo from the holder and gave the OOA signal.
Regardless of where your alternate is, around the neck or in the triangle, we all need to be prepared.

The year before last I finished a Cave Intro course and just left the bungee on my octo. I dove a year until the bungee wore out and I switched back to a regular triangle configuration for a recent trip to Jamaica. I missed the bungee because I had a real comfortable feeling when I could see the octo. I know its all in the mind but ..............! I'll be in Curacao the first week of March/08. I think the octo will be back on a bungee - or on the surgical hose.

Actually, those photos do not show someone how to actually attach the bungie to the regulator. I've seen folks screw up the attachment through ignorance and come up with some dangerous methods.

Walter, those pictures were in response to the poster who asked if anyone had any pictures of a diver using a bungied backup configuration. I agree, they don't give you a clue as to how to arrange the bungie. I believe I suggested a search on "necklace" in the DIR forum as a way to pull up some threads with a lot of information.

That evening I fashioned a "bungee" using surgical tubing and the next day I ordered a 5' long hose.

Last weekend, something happened that made me glad that I'd at least bungee'd my octo. I was diving with two buddies. We surfaced after the dive and were talking about whether to surface swim back to shore or descend and follow the contour. One of my buddies pointed out a speed boat that was quickly closing in on us. We descended immediately but my problem was that I had let my primary get away from me on the surface and had trouble finding it in all the rush to avoid being run over. Not to worry, I popped in my octo and switched back to my primary after we joined up at the bottom......

One could argue if you did not have a 5’ hose the regulator might not have gotten away from you….

One also could argue why are you surfacing in an area where there is a high probability of overhead boat traffic without towing a dive flag or shooting an SMB prior to surfacing. With adequate surface markers you could have avoided the boat playing chicken wiht you. The decent could have been under less stress giving you time to find your regulator.

BTW: I am not knocking the bungee I am just playing devils advocate. I do use a bungee myself.

With adequate surface markers you could have avoided the boat playing chicken wiht you. The decent could have been under less stress giving you time to find your regulator.

lf.

Very stupid assumption. My flag and float (and me) almost got run over 2 weekends ago by a 50 ft boat under flat calm conditions. Hell my buddy was IN a 24 ft boat (getting ready to dive) and still got RUN OVER by another boat while at anchor with a dive flag up.

Walter, those pictures were in response to the poster who asked if anyone had any pictures of a diver using a bungied backup configuration. I agree, they don't give you a clue as to how to arrange the bungie. I believe I suggested a search on "necklace" in the DIR forum as a way to pull up some threads with a lot of information.

You did indeed Borg Queen, and my instructor has send both bungee and surgical tubing. The latter being my preferance at this point in time, though I won't be able to put it on the back-up until my Scubapro S295 is back from service. Also, I'm upgrading to a MK 25 S600 primary, partly based on your comments in another thread, my queen, but what about those Scubapro hose protectors. I heard that they are the best in the business. Do I try to squeeze them to the DIR hoses my instructor sent or is it not the 'done thing' as they create drag?

Hi, I have included this picture of how my Secondary Reg is attached to a bungee

Hop this helps

P1000879.JPG

I’m not going to assume an OOA diver is always going to approach in field of view. Of the three OOA situations I’ve witnessed only once did the OOA diver approach in the donors field of view. The two other times the donor was unaware until the OOA diver yanked the octo from the holder and gave the OOA signal.
Regardless of where your alternate is, around the neck or in the triangle, we all need to be prepared.

You're kidding, right??? Wouldn't you have to see the person "coming into you" to purge a reg for them??? Obviously you're not going to be able to purge a reg for an OOA diver who comes at you from a blind side & snatches your reg. What I was trying to get across was that an OOA diver, who just exhaled & was unable to get another breath, due to a malfunction, may not have enough air to clear the water from their mouth. Purging the reg for them, once it's in their mouth, would clear their mouth of water, allowing them to take a breath without inhaling water. If you are the OOA diver & you are approaching the donor from a blind side, you can purge the reg, once it's in your mouth, causing the same result. I was taught this in OW class.

Back
Top Bottom