Kinking over hose to stop freeflow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@doctormike like I said, the most probable cause of an unstoppable freeflow is IP creep from the first stage. If you have one of the second stages freeflowing and kink it off, the other one is just going to start freeflowing. Looking at it from a probability of failure mode scenario, it's not a technique that would solve the most likely culprit of the freeflow, so why emphasize it? If we are talking strictly recreational diving, their training should be to start sharing air with their buddy and make an ascent to the surface, not to try to resolve that problem underwater. We teach our students that if that happens, to start sharing air, and once you are stable, then turn the tank valve off since it's obnoxious to deal with, but we also emphasize proper tank placement on the BC so they can comfortably manipulate the valve

OK

@doctormike like I said, the most probable cause of an unstoppable freeflow is IP creep from the first stage. If you have one of the second stages freeflowing and kink it off, the other one is just going to start freeflowing. Looking at it from a probability of failure mode scenario, it's not a technique that would solve the most likely culprit of the freeflow, so why emphasize it? If we are talking strictly recreational diving, their training should be to start sharing air with their buddy and make an ascent to the surface, not to try to resolve that problem underwater. We teach our students that if that happens, to start sharing air, and once you are stable, then turn the tank valve off since it's obnoxious to deal with, but we also emphasize proper tank placement on the BC so they can comfortably manipulate the valve

i am not sure we could say the most probable cause is a first stage IP issue. i may depend where you dive. most free flows we see here are from cold conditions and/or divers over breathing their regs. i agree with the rest 100%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom