scubaboard and sb users being sued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeppermintPaddi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I usually only read this TSD forum, but one of our more active members posted this elsewhere. So just in case other people hadn't seen this either....

here's the thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/site-support/321427-gundi-holm-sues-scuba-board-101-members-10.html

post #92 on page 10 has this link to a copy of the complaint
http://gundisuit.scubaboard.com/gundisuit.html

Important point is that SB could use some financial help fighting this off.
That same #92 post has a link to Paypal. So maybe some of us might want to read the thread and consider how much SB is worth to us. I chipped in. I want it to stay around.

I sent a 'Hamilton' in yesterday to join in the fight !

Already sent funds. Personally, this is one of the worst PR moves I have seen. Gee, why don't I irritate a board with over 130K members.

Already sent funds. Personally, this is one of the worst PR moves I have seen. Gee, why don't I irritate a board with over 130K members.

...irritating a scuba divers' forum with 130K members is irrelevent if your name is mud and you've essentially been excommunicated from the scuba universe, hence the burning of all your bridges and 'going nuclear'.

Isn't this like suing the post office because someone sent you a letter you didn't like? The problem may be that this is Canada. The Euros and perhaps Canada operate by a different law regarding freedom of the press/Internet, etc. I know that defamation law in the EU are MUCH stricter than the U.S.

Thank you for the post, Peppermint Patty--I hadn't been aware of this as I pretty much just look at Marine Ecology and Texas diving on this forum.

Isn't this like suing the post office because someone sent you a letter you didn't like?

Unfortunately not. It's been years since I was involved in the fun business of being sued for content but as I remember under the Computer Act of 1985 (I think that's the one) System Operators of BBS's and other electronic boards are safe from being sued for content under kind of a "common carrier" status so long as they don't moderate the conversations, etc. If they do moderate they lose that protection and can be sued for the content of their systems.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV.

...irritating a scuba divers' forum with 130K members is irrelevent if your name is mud and you've essentially been excommunicated from the scuba universe, hence the burning of all your bridges and 'going nuclear'.

Yep. All you have to do is find some lawyer who will take the case for some large percentage of any awards. So the cost to the plaintiff may well be nada.

Unfortunately not. It's been years since I was involved in the fun business of being sued for content but as I remember under the Computer Act of 1985 (I think that's the one) System Operators of BBS's and other electronic boards are safe from being sued for content under kind of a "common carrier" status so long as they don't moderate the conversations, etc. If they do moderate they lose that protection and can be sued for the content of their systems.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV.

This is going to be very interesting how the courts handle this. I would hope that the individuals right to free speech prevails with anyone sharing his or her opinion........
on any blog forum...............................

hope no one sues me over my opinion on this matter.........:mooner:

Nope... not Canada.

The only reference to Canada is that one of the "slanderous posters" is in a "snowbound fortress in Canada". The lawsuit is filed in US court in FL, Scubaboard is situated in FL, and the plaintiff is from Austria.

Hey... I'm in Canada! Where's MY fortress?? :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom