Scuba Sciences Regulator Repair Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
Looks like this thread is wrapping up.

... I guess it's back to Lake Pleasant Conditions again. :shakehead

No. Not the same old 52-degrees, 10 feet of vis posts.

It was good for a day at least!

Maybe I spoke prematurely. I see Paul is here so things might liven up.

awap:
Next time you give the class, maybe you could invite your tech to sit in.

That sounds like a troll.

Scuba Sciences:
We would like to offer Mr. Just a FREE regulator overhaul now (in the next month or so), let him use our pool to properly test his equipment for FREE, a FREE Equipment Techniques Class, and a FREE Regulator service in October, 2007 when he is due again.
Tina,

Seems like a fair compensation offer and one I, if it were me, would have accepted back in January along with an apology from the tech, but to me it just seems like a CYA offer in the face of public scrutiny and an attempt to keep an unhappy customer. Why??? Why not just make it go away? Is it a matter of pride, policy. power?? I just don't get why you'd deal with all the bad pub. over a lousy reg service. It can't be worth it...can it?

scubapig52:
Scuba classes are getting shorter every day, this is why we have had 58 hours of instruction , so people know about a pre-check of the equipment and how to do one before every dive ..Safe Diving :no
Paul,

Having been through the your SSI OW class twice. I was never taught to check each and every connection during a pre-dive check of equipment, leak tests may not have uncovered the problem. The OP stated he has a pre-dive checklist he goes through. He has for his part said he has some learning to do with equipment and is going to add this to his checklist. Are you ready to take responsibility for your part, the equipment perhaps not being tightened/torqued properly? or are you just going to shift all the blame as well?

Just curious...

-Garrett

krcollins:
That sounds like a troll.

I thought it fit into the topic quite well.:D It is the closest thing I have seen to any attempt in institute any corrective action to prevent such service errors in the future.

Stuff happens. But sometimes it is real important to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Although I've never had any direct dealings with this LDS, I'm struck by the contrast in how they are dealing with this issue versus how a FL dive operation handled a customer complaint on this board....

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2566943&postcount=85

I'm reminded of the saying: "Denial ain't just a river in Africa"

scubapig52:
Scuba classes are getting shorter every day, this is why we have had 58 hours of instruction , so people know about a pre-check of the equipment and how to do one before every dive ..Safe Diving :no

It's funny, when you read this thread. It's not so much on how the incident occurred, it's how your shop handled the situation. I believe this is your first post on the matter. Tina has been very involved. She has come under some criticism on how it was handled. I have tried to be neutral and I have tried to throw out a solution that may have ended this drama-filled thread. However, when I read your post, I find it hard to believe how apethetic you are about it. You are actually using it as a way to promote your classes. You would have been better off saying nothing. And, you are shaking the finger ... that is too funny.

Maybe I am off-base, but I am kind of stunned by your response (albeit edited). It's because of this "faultless attitude" that this thread has lived on as long as it has.

scubatimmay:
We have been here all the time.Me and the pig posse as you guys called it.We just don't post on here all the time.Sorry,between the 12 hour job and everything else going on.So let's be fair on our comments.Be fair.Or do we need to post every day?Who really knows?Thanks..............Timmay

Timmay, I am pretty active on the board and do not recollect ever hearing anyone call you the pig posse. However, to put it bluntly and many may share or disagree with my comments, I am just going to throw it out. Most (emphasize most) of the "pig posse" that contributes to the board are here only when (1) there is a reason to rise to the defense of Scuba Sciences, or (2) you want to use the forum as a place to promote Scuba Science. Most of the other time you are dormant. I think that is the issue most regular SBers have. I re-emphasize, most of the posse; not all!

Stephen Ash:
... I guess it's back to Lake Pleasant Conditions again.

The lake is 54ish degrees. Visibility at Scorpion Bay is about 20 feet (as of last week). Still one of the safest places to train local divers.. I don't care what anyone says.

Awap:
Next time you give the class, maybe you could invite your tech to sit in.

That's just funny! :D

Last question: How does a second stage just fall of the hose? (A) It was never tightened correctly. (B) It was loosened. Sorry, baggage handling will smash the reg before it loosens it. Suspects: (1) the tech, (2) the diver, (3) a really sick dive buddy, (4) a TSA representative looking for terrorist contraband, (5) Colonel Mustard.

Scubajcf has left Switzerland.

scubajcf:
Timmay, I am pretty active on the board and do not recollect ever hearing anyone call you the pig posse. However, to put it bluntly and many may share or disagree with my comments, I am just going to throw it out. Most (emphasize most) of the "pig posse" that contributes to the board are here only when (1) there is a reason to rise to the defense of Scuba Sciences, or (2) you want to use the forum as a place to promote Scuba Science. Most of the other time you are dormant. I think that is the issue most regular SBers have. I re-emphasize, most of the posse; not all!

I don't remember anything about a pig posse but I do recall their contribution to a thread on DIY reg servicing. If I recall, the contribution basically said that divers who service their own regs are stupid and will screw it up and kill themselves. I guess they were trying to discourage the competition.:D

At this point, things are pretty much irrelevant as to who/what is at fault.

I have a job that can be classified as similar to a tech's job. I work on peoples' equipment that they quite often rely upon to help save their own lives and lives of other people. I know the importance of good service. I have faced customers who are furious at me, for something that is obviously their fault, but I can't tell them that. I just have to make it right in their eyes. Even when I KNOW someone is screwing me....it's better to play nice and smile and do what they want.

As I mentioned, fault is irrelevant. What's done is done. SS, you need to just suck it up and do what ever the customer wants. The amount of "saving face" you will gain may not offset the negative press at this point, but it would help. Besides, refunds and/or gift certs, whatever, in the grand scheme, isn't a lot of money to be out.

Businesses are at the mercy of our customers. They are the ones paying our wages. You might be the owner and whatever, but someone still puts the $$'s in your account. That someone is happy customers. Loosing one customer may not seem like much, but he sure made his feelings clear here. That might have cost you 10 more....20?.....Who knows?

Darin

awap:
I don't remember anything about a pig posse but I do recall their contribution to a thread on DIY reg servicing. If I recall, the contribution basically said that divers who service their own regs are stupid and will screw it up and kill themselves.

Ya! That was classic!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom