Self service regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavideShardana

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Finish to service my regulator R190. I was not able to unscrew the bolt on the right completely and check the valve but the problem was wet breathing, so I checked the diaphragm and exhaust valve which were ok, clean everything and applied a bit of Vaseline everywhere.
To be noted all technicians/shop in my city refused to service my equipment because it’s too old

Mk10 first stage, d400 and R190 second stages. All Scubapro. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 20842E7D-8EC4-4B8E-B31D-57E06F59AD9D.jpeg
    20842E7D-8EC4-4B8E-B31D-57E06F59AD9D.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 18D8512D-9804-4CF7-8F7D-FF4B46537EA6.jpeg
    18D8512D-9804-4CF7-8F7D-FF4B46537EA6.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 66
Vasolene everywhere is not mentioned in the service manual. 😃

You might want to explore other shops. These regs are not too old to be serviced.

But do be careful with your own service activity if you are just poking around without any clear idea of how to do it correctly.

"servicing" a reg usually means dismounting, cleaning, changing the seats of both 1st and 2nd stage and the dynamic O-rings. Often some mating surfaces need some finishing, particularly inside the first stage, where the piston head seals over the brass thanks to the large, thin dynamic O-ring.
Static O-rings should be inspected, cleaned, re-greased and reused, if in good conditions.
Finally, IP is measured and checked over time, after proper "burn in" of the seats, and the second stage is tuned to the wanted "cracking pressure".
The whole process usually takes almost one hour (to me, at least). Slightly more if it is sealed and silicon-packed.

"servicing" a reg usually means dismounting, cleaning, changing the seats of both 1st and 2nd stage and the dynamic O-rings. Often some mating surfaces need some finishing, particularly inside the first stage, where the piston head seals over the brass thanks to the large, thin dynamic O-ring.
Static O-rings should be inspected, cleaned, re-greased and reused, if in good conditions.
Finally, IP is measured and checked over time, after proper "burn in" of the seats, and the second stage is tuned to the wanted "cracking pressure".
The whole process usually takes almost one hour (to me, at least). Slightly more if it is sealed and silicon-packed.
I need more tools to service the first stage, ordered them. the D400 I will never touch it still have to find a technician willing to service it.

Vasolene everywhere is not mentioned in the service manual. 😃

You might want to explore other shops. These rehs are not too old to be serviced.

But do be careful with your own service activity if you are just poking around without any clear idea of how to do it correctly.
Found a technician in Melbourne but I have to post the regs to them, just checking if with a good clean the problem is solved. Otherwise I'll let professional do their magic if I find somebody.

Where did you use the Vaseline, meaning what’s parts on the 2nd stage? Vaseline is not healthy to breathe in.

.... clean everything and applied a bit of Vaseline everywhere....
Vaseline is a terrible idea as a lubricant for O-Rings. It is a petroleum based grease. Normal NBR O-Rings will do just fine, but EPDM O-Rings will harden and crack over time.

The health concerns are probably not quite as severe, as these petroleum jellys would have to be inhaled for prolonged periods of time to cause health issues.

On a personal note, the smell of it would probably put me off that regulator really quick when testing it on the surface.

Vaseline, just to reiterate, is not and never has been an acceptable lubricant or assembly grease for a scuba regulator.

If the exhaust valve and diaphragm are actually okay, then it is possible to leak water between the mouthpiece and housing. Have you done a vacuum test on the second stage? Also check for cracks around the valve insert and housing. There is an O-ring at the valve assembly insert that seals between the regulator housing and valve assembly, that can leak due to salt crystal buildup.

Found a technician in Melbourne but I have to post the regs to them, just checking if with a good clean the problem is solved. Otherwise I'll let professional do their magic if I find somebody.
The person that services these regs is going to spend most of their time getting rid of the Vaseline!

Honestly curious, but where did the idea to use vaseline come from?

Vaseline, just to reiterate, is not and never has been an acceptable lubricant or assembly grease for a scuba regulator.

If the exhaust valve and diaphragm are actually okay, then it is possible to leak water between the mouthpiece and housing. Have you done a vacuum test on the second stage? Also check for cracks around the valve insert and housing. There is an O-ring at the valve assembly insert that seals between the regulator housing and valve assembly, that can leak due to salt crystal buildup.
Vaccum test was good! Vaseline was suggested by a friend of mine who is a Tech diver and service is own equipment. He advised about the public backlash of using vaseline, instead silicone based grease.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom