Suggestion for first sidemount set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) can I use the 2 first stages even if they are different brands?
Yes, but it will need to be tuned to the medium pressure of that specific first stage. Or else you can either have it leaking or breathing poorly.

2) Have to convert to DIN, are all DIN conversion standard? meaning do they work on all brand first stages?
Not all DIN are universal. One DIN coversion may use across any model in the same brand. But you will find different thread sizes among the brands (and it's annoying lol). just get DIN conversion of the brand you are using. check aqualung DIN kit for US diver.

3) if re-using US diver first stage what second stage is suggested, I heard that the select one is average in performance.
anything that you have.

In alternative I'll purchase a second set scubapro. and keep the select as a stage bottle set for the future (who knows).
- it's better if you opt for this idea. maybe another mk10 d400 and keep select for stage.
Followed this path, I found another mk10 already DIN 🙌

For basic cave diving do I need Din200 or din300?

Tank valves come in 200 and 300 bar DIN varieties.

DIN regulators are always 300 bar. At least, as far as anything I've ever seen or heard of.

DIN regulators are always 300 bar. At least, as far as anything I've ever seen or heard of.
Just like with the valves you have 200 and 300 bar regs. All of my older SP regs are 200 bar. Most older SP regs is see around here are 200.

Just like with the valves you have 200 and 300 bar regs. All of my older SP regs are 200 bar. Most older SP regs is see around here are 200.

200 bar DIN? Or yoke( A-clamp)?

Interesting.

Well, to the OP's question (my suggestion): Only buy 300 bar DIN regs. No 200 bar.

Well, to the OP's question (my suggestion): Only buy 300 bar DIN regs. No 200 bar.
Unless you're planing on using 300 bar tanks... why would you? The only time I accidently rented tanks with 300 bar valves was in Florida. I'd say 300 bar valves are much less common than 300 bar regs.
Slightly OT but I'd use 230 bar tanks and slightly overfill them all day rather than use 300 bar tanks... you'll essentially end up with just a little less gas and don't have to carry a super heavy a$$ tank.

Unless you're planing on using 300 bar tanks... why would you? The only time I accidently rented tanks with 300 bar valves was in Florida. I'd say 300 bar valves are much less common than 300 bar regs.
Slightly OT but I'd use 230 bar tanks and slightly overfill them all day rather than use 300 bar tanks... you'll essentially end up with just a little less gas and don't have to carry a super heavy a$$ tank.

Because 300 bar regs don't weigh any more (that you could notice) and then you can use your regs on any tank.

Yes, 300 bar tanks are not super common, but so? They do exist. Why would you not buy regs that CAN work with ANY tank?

I own a bunch of tanks. Almost all my steel tanks have 300 bar DIN valves. My HP100s and HP120s weigh the same as HP100s and HP120s that have 232 bar valves. Pretty much nobody in the US uses or fills tanks to an actual 300 bar. But, there are plenty of tanks around that have 300 bar valves.

Hi, if you want to dive Sidemount, you definitely need 2 (DIN) regs with rotative turrets & fifth port for your main tanks. You need to invest on that but it might be better to keep your actual regs because they are suitable for your deco tanks. Sidemount usually opens the way to tec diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom