Suggestion for first sidemount set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavideShardana

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
GDay all,
I am transitioning to sidemount and trying to cannibilise all the equipment that I already have to cut costs. I have a couple of questions for the more experienced of you.

Actual set up: MK10 + d400 + R190 (slight wet breathing I need to service it) / US divers "select" first stage and second stage, both Yoke.

1) can I use the 2 first stages even if they are different brands?
2) Have to convert to DIN, are all DIN conversion standard? meaning do they work on all brand first stages?
3) if re-using US diver first stage what second stage is suggested, I heard that the select one is average in performance.

In alternative I'll purchase a second set scubapro. and keep the select as a stage bottle set for the future (who knows).

1. Yes
2. No. There two hundred and three hundred bar din attachments. Someone pedantic will come and give the exact numbers, but you can't use a 200 bar din reg on a 300 bar valve. You can however do the opposite.
3. Meh

Truthfully, I think once you get past all the equipment changes and servicing of things, you'd be better off selling your yoke stuff and buying some decent regs.

You can find decent (as in awesome) sidemount packages for 1k in USD, maybe a little less. I don't know what the AUS version of the euphemism "Lipstick on a pig," is but that is what it sounds like you are trying to do. If you're going to do things, do them right the first time and sell your old junk to the next sucker. It will cost you less in the long run.

1. Yes
2. No. There two hundred and three hundred bar din attachments. Someone pedantic will come and give the exact numbers, but you can't use a 200 bar din reg on a 300 bar valve. You can however do the opposite.
3. Meh

Truthfully, I think once you get past all the equipment changes and servicing of things, you'd be better off selling your yoke stuff and buying some decent regs.

You can find decent (as in awesome) sidemount packages for 1k in USD, maybe a little less. I don't know what the AUS version of the euphemism "Lipstick on a pig," is but that is what it sounds like you are trying to do. If you're going to do things, do them right the first time and sell your old junk to the next sucker. It will cost you less in the long run.
For basic cave diving do I need Din200 or din300?

I would base any system on one that offers the following:
300Bar DIN
5th port
Turret

Yes the last two aren't technically required but they make things easier.

Yoke is a bad plan since if you are in a hurry during a valve drill it's possible to grab the yoke knob by accident and flood a reg (been there early on in my sidemount use).

What's wrong with MK10s and D400s? I'd keep the MK10 and get another one.
Nothing they are legendary I’m buying 2 couple of mk10 DIN for 90 dollar and resell everything I have now. Just seeing if the “us divers” was worthy to keep and spend the money for DIN conversion.

Nothing they are legendary I’m buying 2 couple of mk10 DIN for 90 dollar and resell everything I have now. Just seeing if the “us divers” was worthy to keep and spend the money for DIN conversion.
Nice thing about SP’s is they have service kits available for pretty much any of their regs to include the ones going back a few decades. Mk10/G250 is an excellent combo.

With SP you can also convert them to DIN easily with SP’s readily available DIN conversion:

1) can I use the 2 first stages even if they are different brands?
Yes, but it will need to be tuned to the medium pressure of that specific first stage. Or else you can either have it leaking or breathing poorly.

2) Have to convert to DIN, are all DIN conversion standard? meaning do they work on all brand first stages?
Not all DIN are universal. One DIN coversion may use across any model in the same brand. But you will find different thread sizes among the brands (and it's annoying lol). just get DIN conversion of the brand you are using. check aqualung DIN kit for US diver.

3) if re-using US diver first stage what second stage is suggested, I heard that the select one is average in performance.
anything that you have.

In alternative I'll purchase a second set scubapro. and keep the select as a stage bottle set for the future (who knows).
- it's better if you opt for this idea. maybe another mk10 d400 and keep select for stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom