Scuba Sciences Regulator Repair Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krcollins:
It is absolutely not absurd to think that someone would remove a second stage for a variety of reasons such as swaping out a hose. The OP says he didn't and we should give him the benefit of the doubt but it certainly is not outside the realm of possiblities and way far from "absurd".

No what's absurd is that he would have done this and then refused the shop's offer to service the reg for free.

krcollins:
The important thing is that we will all think about including this in our pre-dive checks.

Amen to that. I'm picking up my reg from service this weekend. Between this post and the note in the last issue of Undercurrents about a woman who died on her first post-service dive when her reg failed at depth due to an improperly installed diaphragm, you bet it's getting more than the usual couple of breath while watching the SPG test.

krcollins:
Don't get me wrong, I am not by any stretch accusing the OP of lying or trying to cover anything up or trying to bring down the LDS, but I have stoped long ago trying to understand why people do the things they do. It is less than fair to draw conclusions based on generalized assumptions and "interpretation of people's motivations. I think the common term is "armchair quarterbacking".

I'm just trying to be a bit more objective in my analysis.

Well... the OP's original description of what went wrong was very vague. I was just looking for some clarification.

Removing a reg from a hose, as you know, isn't a big deal. Some people would never think to do such a thing. But, others just look at it and realize it ain't a plutonium extractor.

I service my own regs and it certainly isn't a big deal for me... but LONG before I learned to do that I had no fear of swapping out hoses and/or second stages or whatever. I'm sure a lot of others are the same way. It wouldn't be unusual at all for someone to remove/replace a second stage on their own.

Stephen Ash:
Well... the OP's original description of what went wrong was very vague. I was just looking for some clarification.

Removing a reg from a hose, as you know, isn't a big deal. Some people would never think to do such a thing. But, others just look at it and realize it ain't a plutonium extractor.

I service my own regs and it certainly isn't a big deal for me... but LONG before I learned to do that I had no fear of swapping out hoses and/or second stages or whatever. I'm sure a lot of others are the same way. It wouldn't be unusual at all for someone to remove/replace a second stage on their own.

I agree. But that diver would almost surely know what to do if a leak at the connection of the LP hose to the 2nd stage were detected. At that point, the hose is about 2 turns loose and about 2 turns from falling off. Retightening it by hand is fairly simple. But left on its own, it will tend to continue to unscrew with the help of a little LP.

Scuba classes are getting shorter every day, this is why we have had 58 hours of instruction , so people know about a pre-check of the equipment and how to do one before every dive ..Safe Diving :no

Dive-aholic:
Great post, Phil.

A couple of comments -

cjust, the OP, has been a member here since Feb 2002. True, this was his first post, but that doesn't mean he doesn't regularly visit and read the forums.

Unfortunately, the LDS has a track history in the AZ Scuba forum. Several months ago Tina and several other Scuba Sciences employees and customers joined the Board all within a couple of weeks of each other after another thread was started about their customer service. (BTW, let's leave that thread dead, please!) After a few weeks most of those new members disappeared from the Board. To her credit, Tina has been on the Board on a regular basis and contributes to other threads. From the AZ perspective, the issue here isn't so much what happened with the reg. Yes, s*&% happens...to everyone. I believe the issue is more how this was dealt with when the OP approached them and by the response in this thread.

Your statement here:

is what it should all be about. To have a successful business and continue in that business you have to please your customers. To a certain extent, this may even involve doing something when you believe the customer is wrong...because the customer is always right. In the long run, word of mouth is the strongest marketing tool.
We have been here all the time.Me and the pig posse as you guys called it.We just don't post on here all the time.Sorry,between the 12 hour job and everything else going on.So let's be fair on our comments.Be fair.Or do we need to post every day?Who really knows?Thanks..............Timmay

krcollins:
...for making the Arizona Scuba forum fun again!:eyebrow:

Looks like this thread is wrapping up.

... I guess it's back to Lake Pleasant Conditions again. :shakehead

scubapig52:
Scuba classes are getting shorter every day, this is why we have had 58 hours of instruction , so people know about a pre-check of the equipment and how to do one before every dive ..Safe Diving :no

Next time you give the class, maybe you could invite your tech to sit in.

Stephen Ash:
Looks like this thread is wrapping up.

... I guess it's back to Lake Pleasant Conditions again. :shakehead

I guess not. SSI bumped it back up again. No help, just a bump.:rofl3:

OK, We've heard from cjust and SS mgmt. and each has stated their position clearly. As well as supporters of both positions.

This is the 100th post. Can we end it here?

Edit: Evidently not...

Back
Top Bottom