Scuba deaths/incidents per certifying agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccardvol

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, I'm Randy and new to diving. I was certified OW by a very popular agency, and before I continue my training, I was wondering if there was information available about the incident rate per certifying agency. I'm mostly interested in the PADI/SSI/NAUI comparison.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

ccardvol

Don't know...but it'll be interesting to see what answers ya get... I'll be checkin back on this one...Hey...new here myself but welcome to the boards...seems like good peeps abound in here...

Look at Instructor insurance rates...My agency has one of lowest rates in the business

hmmmm... no, not that i have seen

of course, the agencies aren't going to be too crazy about compiling and publishing this type of info

I don't know of any research or informational agency that divides the info out by training agency. Make for some real bad press and no one would submit their stats.

an absolute number means nothing, and even an percentage of students, or of the total of certified divers by agency X means little..
In order to derive any meanful information from that data (if available) you'd have to equalize for a variety of variables such as geographical distribution, highest obtainable level, particular legacy focus etc. It would be a statistical nightmare to get any meaning out of raw numbers.
For example, it makes sense that more Hondas than Ferraris get stolen simply because many more any made and sold every year...

What good would that kind of info be?

I doubt such stats would mean much, unless only incidents occuring in the training or early dives are included. If someone dies diving ten years and 150 dives after getting certified, can we really blame the certifying agency?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom