Scuba deaths/incidents per certifying agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The continuing vein that I see on here regarding agency-bashing is usually meant to promote one's own intelligence and/or diving ability.

What is said: "PADI/NAUI/SSI/Whatever is best and provides the most extensive training."

What is implied: "I took MY course through (supply the certifying agency) and *I* am a MUCH better diver than most of the other shmucks out there. Therefore, my agency is best."

It's nothing more than good, old-fashioned boasting!

Try the Search function.

Which Agency/Instructor is best has been discusssed, recussed and just cussed several times over the short time I've been visiting here.

As for data that same search will show that there just isn't any hard data. There are some guesses, maybe some good guesses; for sure a lot of bad guesses. But firm, supportable data? No.

Its impossible. Large % of divers have training off 2 or more agencies. The agencies themselves dont know how many dives are carried out and so on.

Its impossible to get any real figure and certainly wont get any meaningful figure.

I know what stage you're at in your development. I was at that point myself when I had to choose an AOW course.

You're a new diver and as a new diver myself (22 logged, including deep dives) the next stage in your training is Advanced. Understand, that unlike OW, you likely won't have class room or pool sessions. I know, there are dive shops/ops who might schedule some classroom and/or pool, but the vast majority will give you an AOW manual and you will select 5 chapters to study (5 required dives for AOW). The instructor will do a review and you will dive. My point is, I have found that my "diver education" at this point will be mostly...diving. An instructor, book or course won't be able to teach you how to streamline and descend with the minimal amount of weight, won't be able to teach you buoyancy control, proper breathing so as to not burn up air, etc. Someone can tell you how to do these things, but you'll only learning by diving and doing it. It won't be until Rescue Diver that you get back to something you experienced in going through OW.

So, IMO, it doesn't really matter what agency you get your AOW instruction from, your classroom will be open water and you will be your best instructor. Every time I dive I learn more about refining those skills I mentioned above. That's the only way to do it.

AOW is a joke from any agency. Since you don't live in southern CA, I'd suggest YMCA's Silver Advanced course. It's a solid advanced class. Don't let the instructor talk you into the AOW class. YMCA's AOW is as much of a joke as the others.

ccardvol:
Ok good enough. I guess I asked the wrong question. I suppose what I want to know is, of PADI, SSI, or NAUI, which agency would give me to most "advanced" training in order to receive their respective AOW certifications.

And thanks for not sticking it to a rooking for asking a rookie question? Or would that be sticking it to a guppie for asking a guppie question :)

Definitely NAUI, from what I've heard from NAUI instructors.

waynel:
... It won't be until Rescue Diver that you get back to something you experienced in going through OW. ...
When my OW students start asking about AOW, I suggest to them that their next class should be Stress & Rescue, instead.

I think that Stress and REscue for both PADI and SSI - the prerequisite is AOW from any other agencies.

Can't have rescue without AOW first.

For open water portion yes they need AOW or equivalent non entry level. Oh, and 20 dives.

For confined they need OW only.

Note:- for PADI rescue diver.

SSI Stress and Rescue does not require AOW, which is not an SSI course anyway. SSI AOW is a rating that requires four specialty courses plus 24 dives. The SSI course is open to any certified diver. CPR and first aid are helpful, but not required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom