Going for OWSI in 2024 - Dual Agency PADI/SSI or SSI only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phillm47

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a 63 year old SSI Divemaster who is retiring from my career job this Friday. I work part-time in the local dive shop (mid-west USA) that has both PADI and SSI agencies. Our student ratio is 10 SSI to 1 PADI. The shop owner offered the current DM's to send them to IDC (PADI) and cross them back over to SSI. Most of the current instructors are dual agency, but not all. I am torn between going to IDC for PADI, crossing back over to SSI and maintaining dual agency, or just going the SSI route to ITC. I don't need to work in the industry, although I thoroughly enjoy helping teach and working with students. My long term goals are to enjoy retirement, work part time at the shop, travel...etc. If i was younger I think it would be a no-brainer to do the dual agency route. Considering where I am currently at with my life, I am not sure I want to get into paying multiple pro agency fees, but I could easily do so. If I thought there was a chance I would need to work at another facility in five years, then PADI makes sense. IF going the PADI route I would take MSDT, if SSI only I would add the specialty instructor course. soooo

If you were in the same boat as me, would you go for the Dual Agency rating (PADI & SSI), or just of SSI only? I really am torn on this. Thanks in advance!

PS: If training center matters IDC would be at Rainbow Reef in key Largo, if going to ITC I really don't know, possibly Tank'd in Utila?

The only downside I can see to having both certs is the extra fee to PADI. If that doesn't bother you, then it sounds like a good deal to have someone else pay for the IDC! Partly, the decision depends on your health and fitness. Are you actually planning on teaching and/or leading trips?

If they are paying for it do both. Once you cross over you don't have to maintain both.

Yes I would teach, for several years anyway. They will pay with the expectation of "working it off"...I would end up paying it off just to not be indebt to them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom