Dual agency PADI and Who would you chose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Currently a PADI MSDT. Looking to do dual agency, but looking to hear who should be the second agency.

I am retired, and trying to use the scuba pro status to help travel and maybe work, and offset cost of travel. Currently with PADI, but would not mind having a dual agency cert to open up more doors. Who would you chose and why?

Yes, I understand some of you would say get rid of PADI.
Are you talking about going overseas to work at a shop as an instructor, or are you talking about leading dive trips to overseas locations and perhaps teaching (finishing up student certs, doing an AOW or other continuing ed cert, etc.) while there? If the latter, do you have a current group of divers who you can act as trip leader for, or would you be working as a trip leader for a LDS?

Are you talking about going overseas to work at a shop as an instructor, or are you talking about leading dive trips to overseas locations and perhaps teaching (finishing up student certs, doing an AOW or other continuing ed cert, etc.) while there? If the latter, do you have a current group of divers who you can act as trip leader for, or would you be working as a trip leader for a LDS?
see posts #2 and 3

To be clear....if you are a PADI instructor an SDI shop (for example) might let you teach one of their students but it would be a PADI class you are teaching, not an SDI class. I'd guess this is very unlikely. Aside from the pricing/profit complexity, the shop would get no credits from SDI for that student and that is not to their advantage.
You definitely would not be allowed to teach the student an SDI class.
Thanks for the clarification. Of course, if you're not a SDI instructor you can't teach an SDI course.

I've seen a PADI shop issue NAUI (and others from time to time) certifications with the appropriate instructor, but the context was a shop with a lot of traffic (at least for the area) and plenty of "PADI points." Perhaps it's our colder water, but sometimes it can be tough to find instructors....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom