Scooter with chest mounted rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anybody had any experience diving a chest mounted rebreather like the Optima CM and the Triton with a scooter?

Hey guys I scooter all the time with mine in both open water and the cave. This DPV ring was created which makes it even easier but even without the scooter ring it’s not too bad.

With the scooter ring it’s fantastic. The added benefit of the scooter ring is that it adds another attachment point for the CM to your crotch scooter ring which if you have an issue with the unit riding up it keeps the unit in place.

Attachments

• 0030ED90-B6C1-4051-AF3F-C08B46D306FA.jpeg
    0030ED90-B6C1-4051-AF3F-C08B46D306FA.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 124
Hey guys I scooter all the time with mine in both open water and the cave. This DPV ring was created which makes it even easier but even without the scooter ring it’s not too bad.

With the scooter ring it’s fantastic. The added benefit of the scooter ring is that it adds another attachment point for the CM to your crotch scooter ring which if you have an issue with the unit riding up it keeps the unit in place.

This is great! What do you use the bolt snap for?

This is great! What do you use the bolt snap for?

The webbing feeds through the bottom of the webbing on the CM. Then the bolt snap clips to your scooter ring on your crotch strap. It is essentially an extension for your current scooter ring.

I scooter with my CM all the time in a drysuit with thick gloves, clipping the scooter onto the tow ring takes a little getting used to but it’s not that bad. Once underway it’s a non issue.

The only thing I found with triton is that it is a little harder to reach the scooter ring on the crotch strap because my arm had to go around/over the chest bag and I couldn't actually see the D ring...but it wasn't a big drama with a bit of practice.

Has anybody had any experience diving a chest mounted rebreather like the Optima CM and the Triton with a scooter?
Yes, I found it to not be much of a problem at all. DiveRite makes a crotch ring extension for the Choptima that clips to your scooter ring and then feeds through between the scrubber and O2 bottle to a ring on the front of the unit. I was thinking of getting one until I tried scootering without one and found it was perfectly fine. I am tall enough (at only 5'10") that my regular scooter ring is below the O2 bottle and easy enough to reach for clipping and unclipping the scooter. When I run the scooter, the tow line runs right down under the RB and pulls me nicely without driving the RB up into my chin or into my chest. I could see where the ring extension may be useful to a shorter person on whom the RB would necessarily ride lower (and would make it hard to clip and unclip and would likely push the RB up under the diver's chin).

I was thinking of getting one of these for my Chop, even though I don't really need it for scootering. Can it be used as the only bottom connection (i.e. not using the regular bottom 2 straps) without making the RB too unstable? Have you tried that?

Back
Top Bottom